• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collegiate signet rings

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
You shouldn't wear a big tacky ring if you went to a third-tier state school (and studied something like psychology).

And you especially shouldn't wear a class ring from high school - nothing worse than having a basketball hoop or a guy in wrestling spandex on the side of your ring.

If you're a graduate of the Ivy League - sure.

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
I respect the total fugliness of it. It is hands down the most hideously tacky design ever, it is soo ugly that it becomes cool. Technical universities traditionally have very little eye for aesthethics so it is consistent with that.

It may be fugly but at least you know the guy wearing it is pretty damn smart. When it comes to college rings, I don't see anything wrong with wearing it a few years after you graduate. Anytime after that, wear it only if the school is publicly well known or at college reunions.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In theory, I have nothing against wearing class rings. In reality, every one I have seen has been in the most garish bad taste imaginable! I would much rather wear a diamond pinky ring, and that's saying something. Many of the class rings I have seen make that MIT one look like an exemplar of restrained good taste.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What's that beaver doing?

Originally Posted by lmaligaya
Brass_Rat_2007_Finger.jpg

It looks a bit like it's caddying. Perhaps for a Harvard grad.

maufic

Reaction score
In Canada when someone graduates with an engineering degree they're given whats known as the Iron Ring. Along with the ring there is a private ceremony where all graduating engineers recite a statement of ethics for young engineers. The Iron Ring represents the engineer's responsibility to society, it is not meant to be a fashion accessory and is relatively simple (it looks similiar to a wedding band and is worn on the pinky of your drawing hand). Many engineers in Canada wear the ring throughout there careers because of what it represents. The ring is then given when you retire.

I personnaly don't have problem with class rings but I find that most are really ugly and I wouldn't wear one.

I also have never heard of the "brass rat" and doubt it is as recognizable as the pope's ring.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
If you're a graduate of the Ivy League - sure.
No, I hear they avoid rings as too conspicuous to the hoi polloi. They instead do the secret Ivy League handshake that they're taught at commencement when they get their diplomas. I've said too much -- teh Skulls are out to get me!

Originally Posted by maufic
In Canada when someone graduates with an engineering degree they're given whats known as the Iron Ring.
Sounds like something ed's dates might wear.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of jewelry, except watches and wedding rings.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm not a fan of jewelry, except watches and wedding rings.

That leads me to ask how many rings polygamists wear?

Anyone know? RJ?

- B

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Texas, if you graduated from UT Austin, Texas A&M, or Texas Tech, it's normal to see school rings. Texas A&M is really big on the school ring while Texas Tech and UT are still big but not all crazy about it like A&M.

I'm not too sure about UT Austin but I know Texas A&M and Texas Tech don't do class rings. They do school rings so every year the design is the same. I wear my ring and it's usually a good conversation starter.

Somebody may have to correct me about A&M not having class rings but I know Tech doesn't show the year you graduate on the ring.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Sorry Lawrence, but I can't say I find that brass rat very recognizable at all.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaligaya
I am from MIT, and legend has it that the MIT "Brass Rat" is one of the most recognizable rings in the world, up there with a pro sports championship rings, armed forces rings, and the pope's ring.

Is this a joke?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads