• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you SHOULD or shouldn't spend extra money on

beau nash

Reaction score
It depends a lot on how many times you would wear it. I tend to think of cost per wearing. That's why a fused suit might end up being more expensive than a canvassed suit, even though you pay more for it at the beginning. I have about a dozen pair of socks that I bought at the Neiman Marcus outlet for about $9 a pair. I wear them all the time and they are still in great shape. Compare that to several pair I bought at a vestment shop in Rome for about 10 euro. They had holes after two or three wearings and I never bought any more. I just can afford socks that cost me $3 per wearing. The same logic makes a sweater that pills, a suit that looks like peeling paint, shoes that lose their shape and crack, and anything in a color that is "in" this year too expensive for me.

That also means that two pair of AE black captoes, a midnight blue shawl collared tuxedo (vintage), a waxed cotton parka and a camelhair and wool overcoat--bought in 1993, 1994, 1996 and 1998 respectively, are some of the cheapest clothes that I own.

So, to answer the OP's question, I would spend extra money on something that was well made and a classic style as opposed to something that would wear out or go out of fashion quickly. If it's something that you really want right now but probably wouldn't want to keep forever, I would buy it on the cheap.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree with most of the posters that spending money on a few select items is a good idea. Shoes are on the top of my list.

I tend to take advantage of the sales that are mentioned throughout the forums be it from the RL outlet deals to the B&S section some deals are out there to be had. Nothing is as nice as "saving" a couple hundred/thousand dollars due to SF.

TheDroog

Reaction score
This is a useful thread idea. Bicycling Magazine recently had an article with the same idea, items to spend good money on (eg. lycra shorts) and items where you can save (eg. jersey). Here's my shortlist: Spend your money on: Suits Shoes Overcoat Save your money On: Ties Button-down shirts Belts Socks Underwear T-shirts

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Stuff worth a premium:
Good umbrella

just curious why you think a good umbrella is worth its premium, vs just a nice one for $50/less

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
just curious why you think a good umbrella is worth its premium, vs just a nice one for $50/less
Durability, quality of the materials, first world construction by hand, and style. To me the differences between a high quality umbrella and a regular one are equal to those between low quality made in China glued shoes and quality welted ones. Edit - and they work better.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Durability, quality of the materials, first world construction by hand, and style. To me the differences between a high quality umbrella and a regular one are equal to those between low quality made in China glued shoes and quality welted ones.

Edit - and they work better.

+1

They don't need to be EXPENSIVE, but they shouldn't be off the street cheap. I spent $40 on my Gustbuster metro and I can swear by its quality and durability(obviously). I has stood by its claim after 2 years, a few minor and 3 HEAVY storms.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Durability, quality of the materials, first world construction by hand, and style. To me the differences between a high quality umbrella and a regular one are equal to those between low quality made in China glued shoes and quality welted ones.

Edit - and they work better.

Good analogy. Cheap shoes are functional, but they're neither durable nor pleasurable. There's something I find extremely appealing -- even reassuring -- about the sturdy blend of wood and brass in a good umbrella. You can feel the quality, and there's not much you can say that about these days.

The first time I carried my Brigg, I watched some poor guy, dressed to the nines in suit and tie, get drenched after his umbrella flipped inside out. He proceeded to carry it over his head like a saucer. The Brigg, meanwhile, didn't flinch.

Doc4

Reaction score
I am reminded of the recent "I lost my Brigg" thread ... the big difference between shoes and brollies is ... unlike shoes, brollies have a good chance of being separated from you permanently by your absentmindedness, the dishonesty of others, or a combination of both.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
I am reminded of the recent "I lost my Brigg" thread ... the big difference between shoes and brollies is ... unlike shoes, brollies have a good chance of being separated from you permanently by your absentmindedness, the dishonesty of others, or a combination of both.

+1

I've left some of my decent (still less than $50) umbrellas on Subways, Trains, Bars and Restaurants. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I misplaced or had something akin to a Brigg stolen from me.

I'm sure they're fantastic when in your possession though.

Quick question, if you have something as nice as a Brigg, are you EXTREMELY careful and paranoid when you have it with you?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spend extra on:

Most leather items, especially shoes
Dress clothing
Dress accessories

I don't spend extra on:

Chinos
Cords
Underwear
Socks
Most casual shirts (i.e., OCBD, polos, etc.)

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4

True, and if I'm going somewhere with a packed crowd, I'll usually take a less expensive umbrella. As ProfessorShak noted, it's possible to buy nice ones without spending a large sum. I have two vintage automatic openers, purchased for less than $25 each, that are still far nicer than 95 percent of modern umbrellas.

That said, I have only so much sympathy for the argument about absentmindness. I'm as absentminded as they come, and I manage to keep up with my nicer umbrellas. (Cross fingers.) We don't see the same concern about, say, gloves or briefcases, but both those are easily lost due to owner inattentiveness.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my big ticket items are:
-SHOES
-Coats
-Suits

Things I cheap out on:
-Socks
-Underwear
-Shirts (Considering going with Jantzen for MTM shirts, still inexpensive)
-Ties
-Cuff Links
-Pocket Squares

In the vein of CA's recent thread, my boss just walked in on my typing up this list. Thankfully he glanced at it and didn't register that I'm typing on a Style Forum haha.

-Belts (need to begin investing in some quality belts)
-Casual wear
-Active wear
-Scents

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I try to keep a small wardrobe of good stuff, made from artisans in the 3rd world and eastern europe.

Made by artisans = Stuff globetrotter would wear.

Made from artisans = Stuff LK would wear.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jetfight
SF is probably not the right place for "low end" advice
Which is probably the biggest problem with this forum. Granted, we are a self-selecting community and most of us are apparently willing to spend what other people view as ungodly sums of money on clothes and accessories. I realize I'm walking out on a ledge here but it's relatively easy to look good if you're buying a suit at Oxxford -- if you're there, buying that sort of quality, it's unlikely a tailor is going to let you leave the place without the necessary alterations. Contrast that with the reality of someone buying at a low-end men's store where all sorts of rules are broken by the time a man leaves the store. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here but perhaps we need to be a little more tolerant of the "low end" and help those without the resources for high end still look as good as they can. At any rate, my answer is accessories -- most people need to spend more on them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads