• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clanking noise from front end

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gf's Honda CR-V makes this clanking noise from the front end of the car. It's loud when started up for the first time, but gets quieter when it's warmed up. There's a mild clanking noise when I depress the gas pedal, but it goes away when the car is traveling at higher speeds. The car itself is a 2001, with around 40k miles. Other than the clanking noise, everything works just fine.

I'm not sure where to start looking for problems. What do you suggest?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check the oil level. When it gets colder like this the oil gets slower to get picked up and lubricating the engine. If it is a first start a lot of the time the sump may be dry and it has to pick up that slow oil to use at first. If the oil is low or especially dirty/old then that will exacerbate the problem.

JamesT

Reaction score
Is it louder when you go over bumps?

It could be: Strut mounts, Front Sway bar bushings, Control arm bushings, bearings, CV axle...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I vote oil level too, and wonder whether your gf uses the factory oil filter or a different model with a drainback valve (Mobil 1, Fram TG). That might alleviate the tapping earlier.

With 40k miles on the motor I doubt that anything's weird with the lifters or valve train, although infrequent oil changes would certainly contribute to premature wear. Our Miata has 155k miles on it and there's a tapping from the engine for the first minute of idle, then afterwards it quiets down and eventually disappears. Other than that it runs like a top.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
Is it louder when you go over bumps? It could be: CV axle...
+1, This was my first thought.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A CV wouldn't be making noise on startup and it would be a loud click and mostly when turning.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have exhaust heat shield loose, a 20 dollar/5 minute repair.

Oil changes/oil filters ? That is hillarious. You guys certainly know as much about cars as average byceclist.

P.S. In independent study made in mid nineties and involving NYC cabs. Traspotation dept. determined that neither frequency of oil changes nor quality-grade of oil made ANY difference on wear and tear of the engine parts. This study was conducted over one year period or 70-80 K miles . Engines involved were removed and taken apart for assessment of wear.

At the end recommneded oil change intervals suggested by the study were every 5-6,ooo miles with a note that it is absolutely safe to change oil every 10K as well.
Good day and best wishes from Oil Industry.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz

Oil changes/oil filters ? That is hillarious. You guys certainly know as much about cars as average byceclist.

Hmmm. Maybe. Although I've not had an engine compartment heat shield go loose on me, but I have had clanking lifters.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What grade gas do you use? There is a chance that the noise is detonation. If you are using 87 octane try a tankful of higher grade gas from a different "premium brand" gas station and see if that does anything for the noise.
This can't be a heat shield problem if the car is not moving.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
What grade gas do you use? There is a chance that the noise is detonation. If you are using 87 octane try a tankful of higher grade gas from a different "premium brand" gas station and see if that does anything for the noise.

This can't be a heat shield problem if the car is not moving.

CRV's will run fine on 87. There's always the possibility of a gas station adding water illegally to the gas, but I doubt that's teh case here.

A heat shield can, and usually does, make sounds when a car is not moving. It shakes or clanks due to engine vibration rather than actual car movement.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's the gas, as we've used gas from the same gas station before. The heat shield sounds interesting, I'll take a look. The car has been driven lately on NYC's ****** roads, so I wouldn't be surprised if something came loose.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(...)At the end recommneded oil change intervals suggested by the study were every 5-6,ooo miles with a note that it is absolutely safe to change oil every 10K as well.
Good day and best wishes from Oil Industry.

Well dammit, where am I supposed to spend all my excess my time and money now???

Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
CRV's will run fine on 87. There's always the possibility of a gas station adding water illegally to the gas, but I doubt that's teh case here.

A heat shield can, and usually does, make sounds when a car is not moving. It shakes or clanks due to engine vibration rather than actual car movement.

If it's an engine heat shield, then the odds are that it flares up depending on the engine RPM.

paradoxbox

Reaction score
i don't think that's an exhaust shield issue, an exhaust shield would continue to rattle even at high speeds. to me it sounds more like your lifters are ticking which is a bad sign of the engine's condition, but overall it's not really major - just annoying to listen to. search google to see if the engine in that particular model has problems with lifters ticking. it could also be the injectors, or the worst possible thing it could be is piston slap which means a new engine will have to be dropped in (not that expensive if you can get some car smart friends to do it for you). here's a video of what lifter tick sounds like very common on older cars or cars with badly designed engines (or engines that have been abused somehow), and common on engines that are getting worn out. 2001 is starting to get on - it's just shy of its 10 year anniversary. it wouldn't surprise me if it's the lifters.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've had many Hondas and it does indeed sound like a heat shield OR loose exhaust pipe.

It sounds louder at start up or low revs because of frequency. The noise is there at full rev but the higher vibrartion tends to hide the sound.

We've had this problem 3-4 times over 20 years and it was the exhaust or shield each time.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paradoxbox
here's a video of what lifter tick sounds like very common on older cars or cars with badly designed engines (or engines that have been abused somehow), and common on engines that are getting worn out. 2001 is starting to get on - it's just shy of its 10 year anniversary. it wouldn't surprise me if it's the lifters.
Definitely not that sound. It sounds like a clanking noise, e.g. like when a metal fan blade hits the fan case. But thanks for signing up just to help me with this.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads