• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Automatic vs. quartz

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the original topic (and yes I realize that this thread has been dead for six years), but I anyways, I digress.

I know that on Rolex automatic models (I don't even know if they even produce any quartz models) that the second hand has a "sweeping" motion as opposed to a more standard "ticking" motion. Is the sweeping motion fairly common among automatic watches, or is this just a Rolex thing?

Are there watch makers out there who make a quartz watch that also has a sweeping motion?

LK, I know that you've been active on this thread once, here's hoping that you see this and can impart some of your wisdom on me.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
I'm looking at some nice Omega dress watches, but can't decide whether to get automatic or quartz. The price difference is significant, with quartz much cheaper. The salesmen have differing opinions. One thinks automatic is problematic and doesn't work as well. The other thinks automatic is better, because it requires more engineering than does a quartz and is thus a finer piece of jewelry. What's the lowdown on this. Are automatic watches problematic, or are they more accurate than quartz? BTW: I assume manual winding watches are another thing alltogether, correct?
Like another poster said, both salesman are correct. If this is going to be your one fine watch that you hope to keep for a long while, I'd splurge for the automatic. There's just something about it, and in case you ever decide to sell it, will likely have a higher resale value (as a percentage of original price). On the other hand, if you just want a watch that tells time and money is an issue, nothing wrong with quartz--although personally, if you're going the quartz I'd buy a less expensive watch than an Omega. Unless there is a certain design that you must have, it's harder to justify a ton of money on a quartz watch. I'd instead look into something like Oris or Hamilton.

jefe

Reaction score
Most (maybe all? not sure about this) automatic watches sweep. It's not a Rolex specific thing, but Rolex movements are generally of high quality and are very accurate. If you look at the specs of an automatic movement, it will have reading for BPH which is indicative of the accuracy of the movement. Generally higher BPH watches are the most accurate, while lower BPH watches can be a little more reliable because the movements require less powerful mainsprings among other things.

All in all, all decent quartz watches are much more accurate than even the best mechanicals/automatics.

Also, I don't think Oris makes a quartz watch. Pretty sure they just add a nice red rotor to some ETA/Valjoux movements.

NiFTY

Reaction score
quartz is more accurate and more reliable but a mechanical watch is a real work of art something you hand down to your children, a quartz watch hasn't been made by an artisan and is about as special and disposable as a mobile phone or an ipod.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense to NSH, but I love how I took the time to search for this thread, made specific mention in my reply that the thread had been dead for SIX years, and yet still the responses for the most part pertain to the OP's questions.

Jefe, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Getting back to the original topic (and yes I realize that this thread has been dead for six years), but I anyways, I digress.

I know that on Rolex automatic models (I don't even know if they even produce any quartz models) that the second hand has a "sweeping" motion as opposed to a more standard "ticking" motion. Is the sweeping motion fairly common among automatic watches, or is this just a Rolex thing?

Are there watch makers out there who make a quartz watch that also has a sweeping motion?

LK, I know that you've been active on this thread once, here's hoping that you see this and can impart some of your wisdom on me.

Rolex no longer produces their "Oysterquartz" movement.
They stopped production a few years ago. You can still sometimes find NOS pieces as it wasn't a very popular product.

Actually, automatic watches are "ticking" much like quartz, only at a faster rate. Most are 8 ticks per second. It's more obvious when you look at some of the slower beat movements in a big case like the IWC Big Pilot.

There have been some automatics with a stepping second like a quartz.
One that I can think of off hand is a Panerai special edition from several years ago.
http://www.panerai.com/s_special_edi...d_categoria=46

I think there's no technical question as to whether they could make a quartz watch with a smooth sweeping seconds hand except that it would use the battery quicker.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
My late father owned a Rolex Oysterquartz, which has made its way into my possession. It's second hand "ticks". On the rare occasion when I wear it, the ticking second hand leads many to comment, "nice fake".

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My $250 Seiko automatic sweeps. I'm not sure but I think it is 8bps

My friend's $1500 breitling quartz diver does not sweep, it ticks once per second.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I think there's no technical question as to whether they could make a quartz watch with a smooth sweeping seconds hand except that it would use the battery quicker.
Seiko actually used to make a quartz wristwatch movement with a smooth-sweeping second hand, though it's out of production now. Their current Spring Drive movements (a mechanically-powered, quartz regulated hybrid) also have a totally smooth second-hand sweep.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spending more than $150 on a quartz watch is profligacy.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't the quartz Accutrons sweep?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Didn't the quartz Accutrons sweep?

The tuning fork ones did.

Azure

Reaction score
Quartz?

You won´t see any serious bussinessman on Europe wearing quartz watches man!

That is one of the basic visual test about style!!

( some cheapo salesmen from big markets on a fat suits and a black plastic Casio from th 80´s...)

IWC,Vacheron,Zenith,Longines.. etc That is the daily menu

iridium7777

Reaction score
i feel as automatic and especially manual pieces are way out of touch in current, modern days. quartz movements present technological breakthrough that, by far, surpasses even mechanical perpetual calendars and sonneirie complications.

may i suggest that you go with a timeless elegance of a gold movado? any knowledgeable salesman will agree.

Originally Posted by Stu
I'm looking at some nice Omega dress watches, but can't decide whether to get automatic or quartz. The price difference is significant, with quartz much cheaper. The salesmen have differing opinions. One thinks automatic is problematic and doesn't work as well. The other thinks automatic is better, because it requires more engineering than does a quartz and is thus a finer piece of jewelry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads