• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
I got to try out Jicky on the weekend, was pretty nice.. Also 'Imperiale' is very nice - I might have to get that one, but its very similar to CDG's Anbar so I dont know if I can justify both.. Finally got to test Guerlain's Vetiver this weekend as well (which I was originally going to buy blindly from all the great reviews), but unfortunately it turned to a burnt rubber smell on my skin - and the SA was insisting it was nice on me, which was total BS.. She was trying to sell me on it saying it was the last one left when i could see more bottles in the cabinet.. That kinda business totally turns me off from making a purchase.
Imperiale is a classic, but it has next to zero longevity on me. I'd much prefer the CdG, which has a slight twist on the usual EdC that CdG does so well with its fragrances. Eau de Coq is another old EdC, but it, too, isn't much to get thrilled to pieces about. Really, I find it hard to beat my Eau de Lalique for a light, crisp, citrus scent for spring/summer. Did you also try L'instant de Guerlain PH? That's my favorite "recent" Guerlain. Coriolan is another good one, though it's been discontinued. Vetiver changes character a lot with warmer/cooler weather, I find. But, it's definitely not for everybody. A lot of people think that a few years back when they messed with the notes and changed some things, they ruined it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
I got to try out Jicky on the weekend, was pretty nice.. Also 'Imperiale' is very nice - I might have to get that one, but its very similar to CDG's Anbar so I dont know if I can justify both..

Finally got to test Guerlain's Vetiver this weekend as well (which I was originally going to buy blindly from all the great reviews), but unfortunately it turned to a burnt rubber smell on my skin - and the SA was insisting it was nice on me, which was total BS.. She was trying to sell me on it saying it was the last one left when i could see more bottles in the cabinet.. That kinda business totally turns me off from making a purchase.

One of these days I will get my hands on some Jicky, but for now I'm content with a few other fougeres. Sorry to hear the Vetiver didn't work for you, although I will say that it took a few tries before it clicked for me. And that sort of sales tactic sucks. You were at Sephora, weren't you?

Today: Giorgio for Men. Great big honking pine/balsam/honey scent.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
One of these days I will get my hands on some Jicky,
Well, if you'll hurry up and free up some decant bottles, you can have some NOW!!! (haha)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Well, if you'll hurry up and free up some decant bottles, you can have some NOW!!! (haha)

Working on it!!!

Perhaps I should take some of my decants to the office to be air fresheners. Like L'Autre (not)

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MontBlanc's Individuel. I am coming to the end of the bottle and would like advice on what to get next. I have Bvlgari's Aqua Pour Homme and YSL's L'Homme. Looking for office/everyday wear.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
MontBlanc's Individuel. I am coming to the end of the bottle and would like advice on what to get next. I have Bvlgari's Aqua Pour Homme and YSL's L'Homme. Looking for office/everyday wear.

Hmmm... you've got an aquatic and a light, refreshing daywear scent (the YSL). I'd try something a little deeper and maybe a bit spicier.

If you wanted to keep with the chypre mode, you could always do my perennial recommendation, Chanel Pour Monsieur. A slightly less common version would be Tiffany for Men, which you can order directly through the Tiffany website.

Fresh Cannabis santal is always a nice choice, as is Bond no. 9 Riverside Drive if you've got the cash to burn.

What type of "mood" or what type of scent are you trying to evoke? Give me some more hints and I'll make some more specific recommendations.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... you've got an aquatic and a light, refreshing daywear scent (the YSL). I'd try something a little deeper and maybe a bit spicier.

If you wanted to keep with the chypre mode, you could always do my perennial recommendation, Chanel Pour Monsieur. A slightly less common version would be Tiffany for Men, which you can order directly through the Tiffany website.

Fresh Cannabis santal is always a nice choice, as is Bond no. 9 Riverside Drive if you've got the cash to burn.

What type of "mood" or what type of scent are you trying to evoke? Give me some more hints and I'll make some more specific recommendations.

Something masculine, preferably clean/classic, different from the ones I have above and which the ladies will find attractive. If it is "too sexy" for the office, I could wear it during day on weekends.

How is the Miller Harris Citron Citron?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah baby! Today, a mix of Bay Rum and Cuiron. Spicy pirate swagger meets cool modern leather.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CDG 2 today, I really like this stuff - very comforting...
I'm wishing i had bought the 100ml instead of the 50

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - Hermes Bel Ami. Dry peppery-spicy-woody scent.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My today is the coveted Parfume Generale, Corps et Ames.

Some one find more? Please?

Classic as marble
Endures like an ultra marathon runner.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
My today is the coveted Parfume Generale, Corps et Ames.

Some one find more? Please?

Classic as marble
Endures like an ultra marathon runner.

Have you checked luckyscent.com? They show it in the line-up.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YSL Rive Gauche today..
Smells like aerosol shaving creme
fing02[1].gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Have you checked luckyscent.com? They show it in the line-up.

yeah, I just searched and saw that....its all mine now.

turboman808

Reaction score
Anyone still using Emporio Armani. I was surprised to find out they discontinued it. I bought the last 2 bottles from the local shop. Should last me awhile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads