• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat from Gap/Express

jman0308

Reaction score
Alright, so it seems that i have a dilemma here. I'm in desperate need of a peacoat and i narrowed it down to two choices, each being from Gap and Express. What im wondering is which one would be of the better quality. The Gap peacoat is about $118 and the Express is $248.. i've only shopped at Gap in japan.. and the quality over there is very exceptional within the dress shirts and jeans.. havent yet for express.. so advice anybody?

thanks for the help in advance!

Geruvah

Reaction score
You can find those stores EVERYWHERE. Look in any mall or if in a city, down a street. Try both on.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At those price points, you can really get something with a lot better quality. I would not pay that much from either of those two places. I actually have a GAP pea coat, but got it on sale for $30, originally $130. But since you have a limited time frame, I would look elsewhere.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Aside from their non-logo sweater vests which fit well and can be had for $20 on sale, I would avoid Express all together. In a bind once I bought a pair of dress slacks there. The quality, material, and fit are terrible for the $70 I paid for them.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Utter garbage. At that price, get it from Sterlingwear and you won't regret it.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Utter garbage. At that price, get it from Sterlingwear and you won't regret it.

+1

I was lured into Express the other day as I had a gift card and there was some sale going on. The peacoat was definitely not worth the $250 asking price. The wool was very rough and the coat was stiff. Cut was also rather large. I did pick up 2 non-logo merino v-neck sweaters for like $30 each...which came out to free due to the GC.

I also saw the peacoat at The Gap and that was even worse...Banana Republic has a peacoat that is much softer and has a much more modern cut than either Express or The Gap. Price was $250 as well. Uniqlo also has a peacoat but it's a bit more casual and not quite as soft as the BR one. The price point is much lower though, I believe $100 on promotion right now. If you're in need of a coat quickly then either may be a good option.

However as Scrumhalf pointed out, you can get an authentic Sterlingwear coat and then get it altered to fit you perfectly.

dhlee24

Reaction score
I've heard that the Old Navy peacoat had a nice fit to it elsewhere on here. I know it's owned by Gap and is their "lower" brand..you can get it for around $70 I think. Let us know if you bump into it.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
express is one of those mall stores that make me nauseous when i walk in. i could shop at gap or old navy any day, but not express.

bstang46

Reaction score
I have a GAP peacoat from about 5 years back. I would never buy another one from them. It is an utter lint trap. The quality of the wool was good for about 2 months.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
J.Crew has a pretty decent peacoat for sale at $198 - I imagine it'll be much nicer than the coats offered by either GAP or Express.

bstang46

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
J.Crew has a pretty decent peacoat for sale at $198 - I imagine it'll be much nicer than the coats offered by either GAP or Express.

I agree!

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree that better options exist, but looking at the actual choice provided by the OP, I would say GAP by a mile.

hamish5178

Reaction score
I'll never be able to understand why people dick around with peacoats from mall stores. Get an old Navy surplus one for $40. For around that much I got a WWII era one several years ago. It's thick, warm, slim fitting, and incredibly high-quality. The one at the Gap is terrible in comparison. If you're a fit snob you can always get it tailored, though mine fits great.

yo!

Reaction score
I bought one from OLD NAVY for $40

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jman0308
Alright, so it seems that i have a dilemma here. I'm in desperate need of a peacoat and i narrowed it down to two choices, each being from Gap and Express. What im wondering is which one would be of the better quality. The Gap peacoat is about $118 and the Express is $248.. i've only shopped at Gap in japan.. and the quality over there is very exceptional within the dress shirts and jeans.. havent yet for express.. so advice anybody?

thanks for the help in advance!

I bought a grey one from Sisley for $150 about 2 years ago and get lots of compliments every time I wear it. I wouldn't spend that kind of money at Gap or Express.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads