• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing Between H Freeman or TaT MTM

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that L&S is having a trunk show for H Freeman starting tomorrow and now I'm having a tough time deciding between H Freeman or TaT. I'm looking to purchase a conservative charcoal two button suit, but with my build (10" drop, sloping shoulders, long limbs relative to my height), I've concluded that MTM or bespoke would be the best options for me. I would be saving at least $100 by using TaT, even with the trunk show discount, but I am limited in deciding trouser options (I wanted single forward pleat trousers with suspender buttons), and I'm worried that because there's no tailor physically measuring me, certain idiosyncrasies of my body shape would go unnoticed. I will say that I do like the jacket details of the TaT MTM as I was looking at lapels no greater than 3" etc. I just wanted to know whether I would be making the right choice as to going for TaT or L&S?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am guessing TaT would be able to accommodate your frame better. In my limited experience, Hickey Freeman makes a nice suit - although not with a really modern cut. I'm guessing it would look too boxy on you. Then again, a good tailor can fix that...

bigbjorn

Reaction score
MetroStyles: H Freeman and Hickey Freeman are not the same company.
OP: I think with your challenging build, I'd want a reputable tailor to measure me.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those two choices could'nt be more different from each other. Hicky is classic sorta english styling and Tat is very mod/hip. I would say figure out what type of style fits your needs and go from there. Also RL mtm comes in around $1,200 during there events so that might be something to consider as well.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
^correct- but H Freeman is still going to be less trim than TAT.

H Freeman has new model that is quite trim. I don't recall the name.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Those two choices could'nt be more different from each other. Hicky is classic sorta english styling and Tat is very mod/hip. I would say figure out what type of style fits your needs and go from there. Also RL mtm comes in around $1,200 during there events so that might be something to consider as well.

Again- it's NOT Hickey. H Freeman is a different brand.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
H Freeman has new model that is quite trim. I don't recall the name.

I believe I've tried something. It's trim but not the pencil-leg thin that TaT promotes.
fing02[1].gif

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but what does TaT stand for?

Thick as Thieves?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. If H Freeman does indeed have a more modern cut, I think I will head down to L&S and have Izzy measure me up. Thanks for all the input.

Re: The RL MTM option, I think I would rather wait for BB's MTM events and have Mr. Greenfield measure me.

Mentos

Reaction score
Whatever Izzy's offerings are named, they fall apart. I can't think of anything that he sells that would look anything like TaT. For a conservative business suit, my choice would be none of the above.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Thanks for all the input. If H Freeman does indeed have a more modern cut, I think I will head down to L&S and have Izzy measure me up. Thanks for all the input.

Re: The RL MTM option, I think I would rather wait for BB's MTM events and have Mr. Greenfield measure me.

I thought Mr. Greenfield had recently stopped doing the actual measuring. Not that that would stop me from going the BB MTM route

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, I would like to know more about L&S now with the scathing remark Mentos had made. It seems like AAAC has great reviews on L&S, whereas the opinion here is more so-so.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Sorry for the bump, I would like to know more about L&S now with the scathing remark Mentos had made. It seems like AAAC has great reviews on L&S, whereas the opinion here is more so-so.

I should note that I have not tried MTM with L&S. I bought RTW stuff. Izzy was nice enough, but offered little assistance as far as fit and quality (I was then at a point when I could have used some guidance on these, and I think my noobness was easy to discern). It's also tough to get your bearings because prices seem very flexible on the RTW stuff.

More importantly, the pants I bought came apart at the seams after three or four wearings. Same thing happened to a friend of mine. I also bought a Coppley suit, which is nice enough -- I wouldn't buy it again, but the style issues I have with it are my own doing, not his, whereas the pants were just a mess in terms of fit and contruction.

I'm in a more charitable mood today, so I'll say that it's a caveat emptor place. By no stretch of the imagination would I call his RTW stuff an especially good value. Most of the inventory is mid- to low-grade stuff offered at accordingly low prices.

Should note that as I was finishing up a guy came in who was the epitome of AAAC, as I view that forum. He and Izzy were getting along famously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads