• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of the Diner

DarkPinstripeSuits&OTCs

Reaction score
One of the best diners I have ever eaten in is located in Bergen County, New Jersey, in the town of River Edge. The River Edge Diner is a spacious, clean, always busy diner with terrific dinner specials. A bit pricier than other diners, but worth every penny. The Chicken Francaise and Chicken Oreganata are superb, along with the scrumptious salad bar! The only other Jersey diner that is also really good is Tops, in East Newark. I haven't been there in about six or seven years, though. I wonder if it's still there.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
So you recommend TH? I guess I'll just have swallow the .35 upcharge. I've been spoiled by real Canadian back bacon. That's the stuff I'd love to find in a diner. lefty
Well, I guess so -- I mean, it's not high cuisine or anything. But if you don't like Taylor pork roll, then it's likely you won't like any pork roll.....

ms244

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkPinstripeSuits&OTCs
One of the best diners I have ever eaten in is located in Bergen County, New Jersey, in the town of River Edge. The River Edge Diner is a spacious, clean, always busy diner with terrific dinner specials. A bit pricier than other diners, but worth every penny. The Chicken Francaise and Chicken Oreganata are superb, along with the scrumptious salad bar! The only other Jersey diner that is also really good is Tops, in East Newark. I haven't been there in about six or seven years, though. I wonder if it's still there.

Tops was there as of a year and a half ago, very busy at nights with the bar crowd.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Well, I guess so -- I mean, it's not high cuisine or anything. But if you don't like Taylor pork roll, then it's likely you won't like any pork roll.....

Tried it yesterday.

Not a pork roll guy.

lefty

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love diners. The best if when you go in at 3 or 4 in the morning and there are a bunch of salt of the earth truckers eating.

A Waffle House can be a decent substitute, though I probably wouldn't order any non-breakfast items.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Tried it yesterday. Not a pork roll guy. lefty
Not really surprised, it's one of those things you had to grow up on. It's debatable whether I enjoy it on its own terms, or merely for the comfort of familiarity. ~ H

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Not really surprised, it's one of those things you had to grow up on. It's debatable whether I enjoy it on its own terms, or merely for the comfort of familiarity. ~ H
I think pork products made from the less desirable parts are like that. Each culture seems to have its own version, and most do not catch on outside their home ground.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
A Waffle House can be a decent substitute, though I probably wouldn't order any non-breakfast items.

Dewd!! Waffle House patty melts and Bert's chili are the nuts.

But yeah, generally I feast on the breakfast goods.

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads