• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reflecting on one's city

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
A few months back I had mentioned that my editors wanted me to follow the NYT path and shoot some sort of daily people in the street picture for the web gallery. It has been up since Sept (aug was tests and tinkering with templates to get larger pictures) and truth be told, it is much harder to do that I ever imagined and even more of a slap, was coming to the realization of how poorly the men in Montreal dress! I had always felt Montreal was above average but now wonder if that is true. I tend to hang out in a cafe on Peel, home of the best men's wear shopping in the city and perhaps the perspective is distorted due location. To find a nicely dressed or stylish woman is rather easy, to find a man in something other than a basic blue suit is alarmingly tough! In fact it is discouraging and has completely changed my perspective of men in this city. It stands in the top 5 viewed on the site and the editors seem happy, but I disappointed in my failure to show case well dressed men. I can't help but wonder am I being to harsh, too picky, or is it really that bad out there? Z www.montrealgazette.com/streetviews

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice work.

I hope your feature is popular. It certainly should be.

I especially likes "Katy ... in the West End"

She reminds me of an Annie Hall of our new millennium.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
........ And yes, it really is that bad out there. If you stick with a 4:1 female:male ratio, you will mitigate the sartorial disaster that is modern man. - B
Thank you! I think back to all the times I posted about how sharp some men in this city are.......
baldy[1].gif
But I should add, in Quebec, we need the subject's permission to publish non news worthy pictures, I can not just snap and run and I would say the best half dozen men have declined. But 6 well dressed men do not make a stylish city! I get e mails from viewers asking why I have never posted a picture of a "hipster", the though makes we want to cry. Someone posted here a while back that this would be a tough assignment, I don't recall who, they were right! *Privacy law here dictates one can not publish an image without consent unless the public's right to know supersedes the individual's right to privacy. IE: A truly news worthy story. People who earn their living from their likeness (movie stars, singers, politicians etc) are not protected by this law, only the common citizen is.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! I think I'm in love with Julie. Nice job on the photo essay. I've been to Montreal several times and think the men there dress better than the norm for a North American city (which is merely damning with faint praise). The women, on the other hand, are the best dressed I've seen on our continent.

Siggy

Reaction score
Hmmm, Sabrine et Julie sont tres belles.

Most cities are satorial wastelands, at least you have some pretty wimmins.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fascinating, Allen! You're absolutely right about the women in Montreal--undoubtedly the New World's version of Parisian style. And the men may be disappointing in comparison. But if you were to do a similar project in Vancouver, your disappointment would be raised to the power 10, and wouldn't be in the men in basic blue suits, but in the men in gawd-awful unpolished, rubber-soled clunker shoes, sports jackets and open collars (where suits would be appropriate), and, in general, just no clue whatsoever about style and taste. In fact, you should do a photo project at the university where I'm on faculty and see what West Coast college/university dress consists of: T-shirts and jeans or chinos, with sneakers being the norm. (I don't know whether this holds for McGill; probably not.) The "laid-back" West Coast "style" has laid so far back that it's fallen over! So my advice would be to be grateful for what you have!
smile.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that as a whole, guys in Montreal dress like ****. Younger guys who put any effort in how they dress invariably err on the guido side of things. Actually, the same can be said of a lot of older men as well. Just take a look at the rich guys in the rag trade around Chabanel; it's amazing that men driving around in Ferraris and other luxury cars dress so poorly. The few well dressed and elegant gentlemen I do cross from time to time could probably still work on their footwear choices though...

If Quebecois vedettes are any indication, then Montrealers are indeed destined for sartorial mediocrity. That said, I did see a dozen or so rather spiffy looking guys at a Montreal Canadiens game last year. Probably corporate box/seat holders. Anyhow, they conjured up images of men you see in b/w pictures of the old Forum.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
But I should add, in Quebec, we need the subject's permission to publish non news worthy pictures, I can not just snap and run and I would say the best half dozen men have declined.

Stick with chicks. They're Quebec's fortÃ
00a9.png
anyway.

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Stick with chicks. They're Quebec's fortÃ
00a9.png
anyway.

+1 000 000

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think Montreal is bad, you should see Detroit (or more specifically, the Northern Suburbs of Detroit; Birmingham, Troy, etc.) . . . worst dressed town on Earth.

I think I might start surreptitiously photographing the worst dressed people I see, along with the windows at certain shops. I need to scan in and post the local rag's "best dressed" pictorial, it was umm really something.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An excellent read A! How are Eric and friends doing?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Enjoy the photo essay immensely!

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great job, has me thinking of a trip to Montreal . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads