• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black tie

Bates

Reaction score
Black tie with a black suit is a big no-no except if your going to a funeral, right?
But is it okay to wear a black tie with a white shirt (without a suit), or a shirt and and v-neck sweater?

First post

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bates
Black tie with a black suit is a big no-no except if your going to a funeral, right?
But is it okay to wear a black tie with a white shirt (without a suit), or a shirt and and v-neck sweater?

First post

... also appropriate for picking up your brother when he gets out of jail, visiting the Penguin, and getting the band back together.

I'm not fond of the shirt and tie but no jacket look (regardless of the tie choice), but adding a v-neck sweater should be fine. If I were to pick a suit to wear a black tie with, I'd say a mid-to-dark grey.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would the tie be satin or a more matted colour?

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bates

First post

Or to another formal occasion. However, I've worn a solid black tie with a black suit before and didn't seem out of place (in fact, I got lots of compliments), although the black in the tie was a slightly different shade from the black of the suit. It has a lot to do with what type of tie you pick, your age, and how you wear it.

LapelQueen

Reaction score
One should remember the audience.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
... also appropriate for picking up your brother when he gets out of jail, visiting the Penguin, and getting the band back together.

I'm not fond of the shirt and tie but no jacket look (regardless of the tie choice), but adding a v-neck sweater should be fine. If I were to pick a suit to wear a black tie with, I'd say a mid-to-dark grey.

I disagree, you can also do most any Quentin Tarantino movie in this ensemble.

Mark Bannerman

Reaction score
Personally I would stear clear of the combo... unless the aim is to look like a blues brother... which quite possibly might be sought!!
tounge.gif

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azure
Black tie, white shirt and black dress is what former French Republic president Zarkozy uses almost every day!!

I like that

Well, I suppose if that floats your boat ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads