• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes G500

madison avenue

Reaction score
Im looking to getting a new car and #1 on the list is the g500. I am finally looking to buy instead of leasing like I have been doing in the past, so reliability is very important. I will deffinelty be getting a certified pre owned or buying an extended warranty if I buy from a private dealer. I decided not to buy brand new considering how much the value of the car will drop after I drive off the lot. I would love some advice from owners of the vechile here or people who have some experince with the car. Since I will be keeping the car for 3 years I want to get something I wont get sick of and not something that is on every corner, also unlike every other luxury car it does not get a new facelift / body change every year. I love the design of the car although I heard the ride is not so luxurious and some people complain about problems although I dont know how common this is. Also if its relavant I will be switching from a 2006 bmw x5. I hope to hear some good advice. Thanks in advance.

KBW

Reaction score
In this market I would at least look at what you can do new. If your credit is good you can probably get a much better interest rate buying new than used and right now there's plenty of deals to be had (not sure on a g500 though as these are pretty rare). A guy that I play golf has one and I've never heard of him complain about the reliability (his may be the 55 version). I'll ask him though.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gwagens aren't what they used to be
Stolz.JPG

hypersonic

Reaction score
The G class is kinda cool ...even if it is an irrelevant relic that should have been dumped from Merc's line up several years ago.

Germany's Dekra 2008 reliability survey rated the G class very poorly only giving it 47.30% reliability. It also is one of the most polluting vehicles on the market -- it really is an anomaly in 2008, only being kept in production because the Americans finally discovered it ...after it had been in production for over 20 years (and the Arabs love them too).

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limping_decorum

ok these were pretty f*ckin' cool. i like the g500/g55. definitely something a little out of the ordinary.

-Jeff

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Sweet, I can't wait to roll with you in a G.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G500 /= reliable car. It's a money pit. Buy it if you really like your Merc dealer, because you'll see it a lot. And they'll really like you.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't have any advice to give, but the G-class has to be one of the most beautiful cars in producation today. Too bad they mucked up the interior with the standard corporate gear.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't have any advice to give, but the G-class has to be one of the most beautiful cars in producation today. Too bad they mucked up the interior with the standard corporate gear.

Really?

2009-mercedes-benz-g-class.jpg

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really. That's perfect.

+1, mafoofan.

The G is a relic, but the fact that MBZ still makes it - well Magna Steyr, actually - it is a good thing.

That said, the G will have none of the ride comforts of an X5, the G's running parts haven't changed in decades. But, it does look good. I'd opt for the G55 if you can get one. If I had to buy and SUV, it would be a G55. I am leaning towards an CLS63 or Cayman tho...

Also, why no lease. Buying a car for 3 years seems somewhat odd, leasing makes more sense for that time frame, as the tax write offs work out in your benefit.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really. That's perfect.

definitely. if i was ever in the market for a lux SUV, i'd start with the G500/G55 or a Range Rover.

-Jeff

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by limping_decorum

Stolz.JPG

How hard is it to find one of these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads