• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get an ascot?

free man

Reaction score
Where are some places that have some reasonably prices Ascots? I havent been able to find anything for under 90$, which to me seems alittle bit absurd (I'm a college student). Online sites or regular stores are both good, just throw me some ideas! Thanks!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Either:

A) Consider yourself lucky and reconsider the crazy idea

B) If you can't afford $90, why are you going to wear an ascot?

devil.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beau Ties Ltd. of Vermont is a good source for ascots. Their "cravats," which would probably be what you want, go for $70+shipping. Their "ascots," which are Velcro-fastened affairs are slightly less expensive. I have no experience with the latter, regarding them as akin to pre-tied bowties, but one chap here or on AAAC PM'ed me that he was very fond of them. I have nine of their cravats. An advantage of of Beau Ties' cravats over most store-bought ascots is that they are made to your neck size, which is good if you have a larger than normal neck, as I do. The bulk of their fabric options are not to my taste, but they have enough that I do like to keep coming back for more.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't do it.

JordanH.

Reaction score
ebay has some. i like the ascot look a bit. and i'm also a college student. i thought about buying a scarf instead of an ascot. something about them just doesn't sit well with me.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Don't do it.

Oh, why discourage a young fellow from sprucing himself up with a touch of faux-patrician panache? An ascot has wondrous powers of transforming an otherwise mundane and unremarkable casual ensemble into something striking and unforgettable.

Yes, I am sure there will be some lowbrow cretins, male and female, who will regard him as a "douche" or whatever for wearing it, but they would say the same of any decent, much less elegant, apparel. Be damned to all sartorial lowbrows!

Come to think it over, SFers who feel that way should probably migrate to AAAC and hang out with their guru, Cruiser!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A discreet ascot worn with a sweater or cardigan is nice.

Just don't add a monocle unless you really know what you're doing.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Oh, why discourage a young fellow from sprucing himself up a touch of faux-patrician panache? An ascot has wondrous powers of transforming an otherwise mundane and unremarkable casual ensemble into something striking and unforgettable.

Yes, I am sure there will be some lowbrow cretins, male and female, who will regard him as a "douche" or whatever for wearing it, but they would say the same of any decent, much less elegant, apparel. Be damned to all sartorial lowbrows!

Come to think it over, SFers who feel that way should probably migrate to AAAC and hang out with their guru, Cruiser!

It's really just a personal opinion. I just think it's a mistake to wear one in college. Unless the OP is a flamboyant homosexual (factually speaking), I feel like he will look out of place and be disdained by his peers. I don't wish that upon him. But after all, he is a "free man" and free to choose.
rimshot.gif

JordanH.

Reaction score
It's really just a personal opinion. I just think it's a mistake to wear one in college. Unless the OP is a flamboyant homosexual (factually speaking), I feel like he will look out of place and be disdained by his peers. I don't wish that upon him. But after all, he is a "free man" and free to choose.
rimshot.gif

i wear slacks and blazers to class and at first, people stared at me as if i had another head growing from my neck. now, they already know what it is. of course people will look at him like he has a problem. not many people dress well. you know this. i know people who think that a tee shirt and jeans is fine for a job interview. almost everyone thinks that a button down collared shirt and jeans is "dress up" in college. Example: Yesterday, while waiting for class a friend walks up.... "Him: Why you so dressed up? Me: Dressed up? Him: Why you so dressed up, why you so clean? Me: This isn't 'dress up' . " Then i think i LOL'd.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rimshot.gif

Judging from the collegiate apparel favored by my stepson and his peers for daily campus wear, I fear than any young man who eschews jeans, T-shirts, hoodies, shorts, sandals and sneakers for something more elegant and classic will indeed "look out of place and be disdained by his peers." That means I have all the more respect for a fellow like the OP who is willing to fight the good fight. I consider him a true kindred spirit.

I might add that I live in an area teeming with homosexuals. I used to work in West Hollywood, aka "Boys Town." I can't recall ever seeing one of the lads sporting an ascot.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanH.
i wear slacks and blazers to class and at first, people stared at me as if i had another head growing from my neck. now, they already know what it is.

of course people will look at him like he has a problem. not many people dress well. everyone thinks that a button down collared shirt and jeans is "dress up".

Example: Yesterday, while waiting for class a friend walks up....

"Him: Why you so dressed up?
Me: Dressed up?
Him: Why you so dressed up, why you so clean?
Me: This isn't 'dress up' . " Then i think i LOL'd.

I know what you mean, and I get the same reaction for wearing a pocket square sometimes. But I feel like there is a difference between wearing a suit with a pocket square and wearing an ascot. I think the suit and square take the outfit in the direction of perhaps "overly formal for everyday life" to some people. The ascot takes it in a slightly different direction, that direction being "flamboyant and over-the-top". This only applies in my social reality and my circles. YMMV.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean, and I get the same reaction for wearing a pocket square sometimes. But I feel like there is a difference between wearing a suit with a pocket square and wearing an ascot. I think the suit and square take the outfit in the direction of perhaps "overly formal for everyday life" to some people. The ascot takes it in a slightly different direction, that direction being "flamboyant and over-the-top". This only applies in my social reality and my circles. YMMV.

I will add that my wife, old philistine that she is, would be in total agreement with you. She initially loathed my pocket squares as well but has come to a grudging acceptance of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads