• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

comments/suggestions on good suit makers in HONG KONG

truevision

Reaction score
hi everyone,
I am a first time poster and just wanted to get some suggestions/information on getting a suit made. I will be in Hong Kong and South Korea in dec/jan and am planning to a get a suit made. I've already read through the forum and have heard about places such as WW chan.

The point is that i am still in my early twenties so my body is still changing so i dont want to splurge too much $$$ on a suit that may no longer fit me properly in a couple of years time.

So my question is: where can i get a decent, good fitting, timeless suit made at a reasonable cost in Hong Kong or Seoul. A place that also make dress shirts in a package would be good also.

thanks in advance

crpz32

Reaction score
welcome! I believe this topic has been covered a gazillion times! Please use the search feature, and I am sure you will find a ton of info!

truevision

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion
i've found quite a few useful threads

anyone ever got one of those tailor packages advertised in alot of HKG magazines that includes a couple of shirts, ties, belts, etc with the suit?
are they worth it at all?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still wear the suit that was made at my early twenty. It is more than 15 years. My size go up and up, more than 5 ins and 40lbs, I think. Why bespoke suit is so great? It fit, even you gain some pounds, the more important thing--you can always ask you tailor to "let out" some inchs. It save much more than RTW.

Don't go those "package" tailor unless you have referal.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
thanks for the suggestion
i've found quite a few useful threads

anyone ever got one of those tailor packages advertised in alot of HKG magazines that includes a couple of shirts, ties, belts, etc with the suit?
are they worth it at all?

Generally not. The packages tailors are typically the lower-end schlock producers - the same as the Indian hawkers on Nathan Road.

If you want to do one stop shopping, consider Jantzen tailor. They are without a doubt a treasure for inexpensive M-T-M shirts. They also can do a reasonably constructed suit for less than WWChan. It will be way better than the Nathan Road hawkers, but not as good as, for example, Chan. However, for a budget choice, you will do fine.

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
I still wear the suit that was made at my early twenty. It is more than 15 years. My size go up and up, more than 5 ins and 40lbs, I think. Why bespoke suit is so great? It fit, even you gain some pounds, the more important thing--you can always ask you tailor to "let out" some inchs. It save much more than RTW.

Don't go those "package" tailor unless you have referal.

wow, really? I go to the gym fairly regularly so I am gaining some muscle mass (hopefully).
Did your suit fit you well initially?
whats your suggestion in terms of design for a suit with a timeless style?
I think charcoal or navy in colour, two buttons, single breasted, central vent?
I've been reading through the forum to learn about the different parts of a suit but there are so many threads.

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Generally not. The packages tailors are typically the lower-end schlock producers - the same as the Indian hawkers on Nathan Road.

If you want to do one stop shopping, consider Jantzen tailor. They are without a doubt a treasure for inexpensive M-T-M shirts. They also can do a reasonably constructed suit for less than WWChan. It will be way better than the Nathan Road hawkers, but not as good as, for example, Chan. However, for a budget choice, you will do fine.

yeh, i have been considering checking out Jantzen. what is the customer service like there? can i communicate in english or is canto preferred?
Its not likely they will try to rip me off ?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They speak english. How do you think they're going to rip you off?

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
They speak english. How do you think they're going to rip you off?

nah, haha just being cautious.
thank for reply

do they have heaps of fabrics/material to choose from? i've had a look at their website. are there more in-store?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just so you know: jantzen is a decent shirtmaker, with a very large fabric choice. but for suits, it would be better to bring it elsewhere.

temporaryachilles

Reaction score
If you read through the forum, you'll see that WW Chan, Gordon Yao, and A-Man Hing Cheong seem to have the best reputations and the highest prices. Getting recommendations for less expensive tailors can be difficult.

When I moved to HK a few months ago, I got suits from Baron Kay (HK$4000), William Yu (HK$5800), and WW Chan (HK$8500). I can recommend WW Chan and William Yu. Chan is expensive, but you get what you pay for -- the workmanship on their suits is quite good, and they are very professional. I prefer Yu because they're a bit cheaper, and because their fitter, Tony, really went all out to get me a perfectly fitted suit. I am being fitted for my third suit from Yu this weekend. I didn't like Baron Kay, because they were completely unconcerned with the fit of my suit after the first fitting and reluctant to make alterations. In general, you'll get the best results if you make yourself available for multiple fittings over a 3 to 4 week period.

I haven't tried Jantzen for suits, but they are good for shirts if you have time to dial in the fit. Jantzen is so busy that I would be reluctant to try them for suits, simply because the fitting would be rushed. Virtually all of the places on or near Nathan Rd that use hawkers or high-pressure sales tactics should be avoided.

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by temporaryachilles
If you read through the forum, you'll see that WW Chan, Gordon Yao, and A-Man Hing Cheong seem to have the best reputations and the highest prices. Getting recommendations for less expensive tailors can be difficult.

When I moved to HK a few months ago, I got suits from Baron Kay (HK$4000), William Yu (HK$5800), and WW Chan (HK$8500). I can recommend WW Chan and William Yu. Chan is expensive, but you get what you pay for -- the workmanship on their suits is quite good, and they are very professional. I prefer Yu because they're a bit cheaper, and because their fitter, Tony, really went all out to get me a perfectly fitted suit. I am being fitted for my third suit from Yu this weekend. I didn't like Baron Kay, because they were completely unconcerned with the fit of my suit after the first fitting and reluctant to make alterations. In general, you'll get the best results if you make yourself available for multiple fittings over a 3 to 4 week period.

I haven't tried Jantzen for suits, but they are good for shirts if you have time to dial in the fit. Jantzen is so busy that I would be reluctant to try them for suits, simply because the fitting would be rushed. Virtually all of the places on or near Nathan Rd that use hawkers or high-pressure sales tactics should be avoided.

I appreciate your suggestions. The places you mentioned are probably out of my budget at the current moment.
I guess i'll have to do some more research or maybe try tailors in south korea.

Starseeker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by temporaryachilles

When I moved to HK a few months ago, I got suits from Baron Kay (HK$4000), William Yu (HK$5800), and WW Chan (HK$8500). I can recommend WW Chan and William Yu....

Do you have a link for Baron Kay and William Yu? What's the address?

truevision

Reaction score
i just got a recommendation from someone for Star tailors in tsim tsa tsui. anyone at least heard of them and can give me an opinion or anything you've heard

JasonC8301

Reaction score
http://www.autopia.org/forum/men-s-s...ying-suit.html

Love Light Tailors but I got measured by David Aswani from Modell Fashions in Kowloon. He took my measurements and went back to HK and got the suits made then sent it to me. It is not the "BEST" work but you are not paying an arm and a leg for it either. I find the work very good and worth the money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics