• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

med school interview attire advice from those who know better?

boldaslove

Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal. I am applying next year to med school and based on the look I'm going for it would behoove me to start looking / saving now. I went to studentdoctor.net but the vast majority of advice goes against everything I believe is right in this world.

I want your opinion, as I am very unsure of what constitutes appropriate MEDICAL school interview attire.

This is what I'm going for
1. the suit: blue, subtle pinstripes (some say this is a no-no) 2-button, slim (drop 6-7 most likely)
i suppose it should be a medium weight wool, though what are your thoughts on linen / silk?
i have one by dolce&gabbana that fits this, although its not a notch lapel, and i'm thinking of going in that direction
any other recommendations? i like those gray tom ford suits with the peak lapels and ticket pockets... could i get away with that?

2. shirt: i have a white, spread-collar shirt with french cuffs (is that kosher?)

3. tie: dark blue with a perforated white stripe pattern from kiton (will that clash with the suit? again this is where my knowledge base runs low

4. shoes: can i wear black dress boots? they have a wingtippy thing going on with stitching
or should i go for lace-ups? and if so any style in particular?

thanks all

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
med school interview is nothing special. Just the usual conservative attire. I don't know about the boots, but I doubt most docs will even notice

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I have a lot of friends who went to med school and none are particularly good dressers. Do a search for conservative business dress (conservative business dress) or interview attire and follow that advice - plus you'll find some pretty funny posts by Manton
smile.gif

Basically, just conservative blue or gray suit, white or blue shirt, conservative tie and lace-up shoes would be fine.

I believe your undergraduate GPA and MCAT scores will be a lot more important than what you wear.

I actually have one friend who had long hair and was the lead guitarist of a speed metal band when he was accepted at Yale Medical School. I don't know what he wore to the interview, but he aced the MCAT.

JPYPSU07

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter what you wear on your med school interview, just don't act like a douche. Everyone ends up looking the same. You are there to present yourself as a future professional and defend your resume and scores, not to get compliments on WAYWT.

1. Dark suit - solid/pinstripes/plaid - no one really cares, at one interview someone was wearing a tan seersucker suit in January but he was from Louisiana. I wouldn't do the silk or the linen. Go get yourself a nice 2 button double vented flat front blue or charcoal that will be able to be used all throughout school.
2. Shirt - white, light blue - doesn't really matter. Prob not french cuffs.
3. Tie - stripes, small patterns, no bowties - you'll look like a douche
4. Shoes - black/brown, Get yourself some AE's they're comfortable and you can wear them in the clinic and your feet will be comfortable. Shine them, look good.
5. I'd suggest no pocket square, save it for going out somewhere nice after you get in.
6. If you want to go crazy, buy some funky socks.

Doctors don't care what you wear. At my one interview one of the doctors said "If you wear a pink tie we'll accept you" I got in there wearing a blue/yellow tie. Next interview I wore a pink tie and also got in there. So take it for what its worth
eh.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doctors are notorious for dressing badly, and it is well-known that nobody cares that they do. Least of all fellow doctors.

If you wear your own suit (not a friend's), a real pair of dress shoes, and black, non-athletic socks, you should be above the 50th percentile already.

I don't think french cuffs are appropriate for an interview, but no doctor is gonna care.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if he scores me on his interview panel?

Yes, most professionals no longer dress professionally but the only other guy I know in person who has an extensive a knowledge base about bespoke as I do is another doctor.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
What if he scores me on his interview panel?

Remember: Coho was in med school.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just dress smartly. Nothing flash.

FWIW I didn't even wear a suit.

III

Reaction score
I'll be interviewing students tomorrow. Dress like a person with good judgment.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Just wear a white lab coat with nothing under it and pray your interviewer is a horny older lady.

VineHill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Doctors are notorious for dressing badly, and it is well-known that nobody cares that they do. Least of all fellow doctors.

If you wear your own suit (not a friend's), a real pair of dress shoes, and black, non-athletic socks, you should be above the 50th percentile already.

I don't think french cuffs are appropriate for an interview, but no doctor is gonna care.

Follow Tarmac's advice if you aspire to mediocrity. My father is a doctor who wore a BB suit every day and hand tailored shirts. My wife may not fashionable in her surgeon's scrubs, but then again she is saving lives.

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest a plain blue suit. This will serve you well for the interview process and many other occasions. Shop around and focus on quality labels. Know your sizes so if you find a deal online you can jump on it quickly. You can do pretty well and not break the bank. See a tailor for adjustments. It will be worth the extra.

Whatever you choose to wear make sure you're comfortable wearing it and that it fits well. This alone puts you above the 50th percentile of any profession.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For mine I just wore:

Charcoal subtle stripe, slim 2 button suit
Plain white point collar shirt with button cuffs
Slim burgundy tie with tiny dots
Black Brogued Captoes
Black socks

What you say far outweighs how you dress. One guy came wearing a blue and gree checked shortsleeve shirt, with a yellow and red tie, and khakis.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I run a course on helping students get into medical school & we do cover interview clothes briefly. I usually use that portion of the course to remind them to do as I say and not as I do and not dress as eccentrically and flashily as I do!
smile.gif

Seriously, think conservative (small c) - reasonably well-fitting dark & conventional suit and ties, black shoes and no pocket square. Discreet cufflinks if you must wear them, button cuffs probably better. What Manton here calls conservative business dress, basically.

Having said that, for my own medschool interviews I couldn't resist dressing up more flashily and I got in, and there's a lot of truth in the important thing being what you say and what your academic performance is. But why risk screwing up all that good stuff by creating a bad first impression with some bizarre outfit? Play it safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads