• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slid on pavement - should I patch jeans or not?

progressiveminded

Reaction score
While biking to class today, I took a turn too sharply and slid on a wet surface. My bike fell from underneath me and I hit the pavement and skidded to a halt. I think the technical term is "eating ****." Regardless, I have a spot just below the knee on my APCs where I've lost a whole lot of indigo, which I could care less about, but most important, the denim there is on the verge of blowing out. I don't think the area will get all that much stress on it, as the spot is below my knee, even whilst sitting. Should I reinforce with a patch on the inside, or should I simply not worry about it and wait for the hole to form (or not, if I'm very lucky and mistaken). If I do patch it, is there any way to make the patch invisible from the outside?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by progressiveminded
While biking to class today, I took a turn too sharply and slid on a wet surface. My bike fell from underneath me and I hit the pavement and skidded to a halt. I think the technical term is "eating ****." Regardless, I have a spot just below the knee on my APCs where I've lost a whole lot of indigo, which I could care less about, but most important, the denim there is on the verge of blowing out. I don't think the area will get all that much stress on it, as the spot is below my knee, even whilst sitting. Should I reinforce with a patch on the inside, or should I simply not worry about it and wait for the hole to form (or not, if I'm very lucky and mistaken). If I do patch it, is there any way to make the patch invisible from the outside?

Patch it. Don't worry about it showing. Let your jeans reflect what you've done (in this case, fallen down) in them.

aerether

Reaction score
I'd care more about your knees than your jeans. Blood on denim is never very hygienic.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aerether
I'd care more about your knees than your jeans. Blood on denim is never very hygienic.

but it gives such nice fadez.

ths

Reaction score
Patch only when it starts to show.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a similar thing except 10x more embarrassing because I was just walking across the street and it was dry. Stepped in a pothole of sorts, hilarious that the first thing I did was go "whoa, that part below my knee where I fell faded awesome" and the second thing I thought was "damn that's a lot of blood coming from my hands"

I am with the other people, just leave it. Wait to see what it looks like if it blows out before patching it, it might look sweet. If not, just patch it then.

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
but it gives such nice fadez.

Too bad it doesn't work when the blood is on the inside. For the first 6 months that I had my APCs, I had blood stains on the inside from the fabric rubbing away the scab from cycling abrasions ... I miss my cycling abrasions.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
You managed to scrape through APCs? I'd be more worried about how fast you're boking
rimshot.gif

Seriousy though, leave them. The odds of them blowing out are low, especially in an area where they don't get too much stress.

It's times like this I especially loathe the "distressed clothing" movement. I'd like to return to a time where a hole in jeans is a badge of honor, not something that looks like it was designed to add insult to child labor injury.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by velobran
Too bad it doesn't work when the blood is on the inside. For the first 6 months that I had my APCs, I had blood stains on the inside from the fabric rubbing away the scab from cycling abrasions ... I miss my cycling abrasions.

confused.gif
eeewwwwww. That's more than a little disgusting

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads