• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mandate: Experiment a little (really, a plea)

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some national anthem stuff off the rakuten explorer store. I think people who like EG will like this brand, though it is sort of more navy inspired pieces.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
They're relatively well-known, but I still don't ever see their items on WAYWT fits, so my recommendation goes out to Haversack.

Especially fans of EG and such brands should check them out, I could imagine their pieces going very well with that whole aesthetic too. But from what I've seen, they're very versatile.

chiral

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdr3
I am obsessed with Nice Collective. I have two lightweight jackets- great detailing, slim fit, sort of a post-apocalyptic/ gypsy vibe. The forest green wool lined coat from this season is nails. I'm surprised NiCo doesn't get more love.

I've got a few pieces from NiCo (jackets and accessories) and really love the brand as well. The detailing is subtle but interesting, and the construction is top notch. I'm still pissed that I left my black and white reverse wool scarf in a cab in Santiago earlier this year. One of my favorite scarves ever.

And in the vein of the thread I just got in the mail my moma boots from yoox, and I am really happy with them. Excellent price (200), and the construction looks fantastic. Nice quality leathers and a good styling. I'll post pictures of them later.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vashin
I bought some national anthem stuff off the rakuten explorer store. I think people who like EG will like this brand, though it is sort of more navy inspired pieces.

Yeah definately want to try this brand. Not too fond of the anchor buttons but they look like they have some solid peices.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some yoox experiments i've had with pants:

Metrico - Pretty decent, slim, runs pretty true to size, I only have a pair of pants, but I like them and I wear them often...

Haute - This brand had very slim pants, you will need to size up 1 or even 2... expensive, kop on sale!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I am too trad for 90% of this stuff, which is why I like EG. If you had new suggestions that would complement such an aesthetic, I'd be interested.

Apart from EG, you might also try Hyden Yoo, which is slightly more urban, but has a similar feel in person. Some of our affiliates carry it. Brigade, for example:

http://www.brigadeshop.com/servlet/t...Yoo/Categories

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
once you've discovered raf and jil, there is no need to look further ad no going back. and rick owens and julius leathers of course.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
black ring jeans and superfine jeans can both be found on yoox and are both pretty good in fit, quality, etc.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
More brands:

KZO - Good price points, interesting emerging brand.
Endovanera - Japanese Goth Ninja, American style. (American Ninja? A classic)
Mr. Olive - one of my new favorite brands. Nice materials, good basics, and great use of off primary colors (see Atsui Tokyo, above).
Peresteso (great knits. If you check the tag on one of your fancy knits, and it says LOMA SPA, that is the parent company)
Paranoid (like Mand of Moods, maybe a little more rustic)
Nice Collective (more dudes need to get behind this brand, which is getting better and better)
Piombo (great use of softer colors and fabrics - good suits)
Antonio Marras - er... lessee... conceptual fashion, Italian style. GoSurface, you are the only person on the forum I could see pulling these off: http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/ANTONI...N/sts/sr_men80

Yeah, Berrini is sort of an Italian take on the Goth Ninja thing. Well, like a rustic ninja, maybe. This year, I've been going more classic Italian though - Peresteso, Forniture Civili, CP Company.

What about Haute, they've been doing their brand of Carpe Diem but not goth-ninja look for years but I see no one wearing it. I wanted to get an overcoat but never found one that fit me. The fabrics are really nice too. Maybe too high profile? Some of the size 48-50 guys could probably score some nice pieces for cheap during yoox sales.

I like Marras and Endovanera but they're not really my cup of tee. I think the americana/military inspired wearers here have a lot more leeway as to new brands they could expand to but I don't really feel the same way.

Some dressy/sharp stuff I never see forumners wearing, even though it is very high profile:

Ozwald Boateng
Spencer Hart
Givenchy
Balenciaga

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
once you've discovered raf and jil, there is no need to look further ad no going back. and rick owens and julius leathers of course.

Remarkably, I went back. I have a fair bit of Menichetti Jil Sander stuff (so, first 6 collections or so), and also a lot of Raf Simons from his "protest" period (so, early 00's) but I find both Jil Sander by RS and RS mainline to be sort of sterile right now, and perhaps overly nostalgic at the same time. RO, I like his use of applications and washes, but find his fits really wierd, and Julius... well, I like the stuff, but don't have that much emotion about it one way or the other, except to say that the prices are prohibitive. I find that there is a lot more growth in the mid market than in the designer market right now.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Balenciaga

I saw this awesome Balenciaga asymmetrical jacket/coat at Barneys in Pacific Place in Seattle. Very sweet. If I had had about $500 more to spend I'd probably have gotten it.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see more (and have more) Prorsum. I put Christopher Bailey right up there with Raf and Rick Owens and the current crop of exciting designers.

Hell I even have a mainline Burberry sweater I love. It seems to me, if you stay away from the chav checks, you can find some great stuff.

I also want nearly everything Blackbird is selling; are they a forum affiliate? It seems Blackbird buys get better and better each season.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Ozwald Boateng
Spencer Hart

Still have one of my OB suits (sold the other a few years back)... I really like OB a lot but find his fits to work better on someone a few inches taller than me

Spencer Hart...yea i think some SH needs to come home with me this time in London. I have 2 of Nick HartxAquascutum collab en route to me right now

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I don't like Yoox, though. They're racist against Costa Ricans.
Costa Ricans are not a race. They can be biased against or to Costa Ricans but they cannot be racist against just Costa Ricans. And I thought most Costa Ricans were American or Canadian anyway?
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads