• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mandate: Experiment a little (really, a plea)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, here is a challenge to you all. We are always talking about the same dozen brands or so. And a half dozen brands get the lion's share of the time. Yeah, I love Engineered Garments, but I checked, and my first post on the brand was in 2004. The beginning of 2004. Sometimes, Styleforum gets flack for being a little too conservative. Maybe there is some truth to that. No, I don't think that it's that cool to go from Japanese repro one month, and become Japanese Goth Ninja the next, but there is some merit in trying new things.

That is why I get excited when some brand unfamiliar to the forum gets discussed. I was really excited to see Mr. Olive discussed with some interest recently, and I had really hoped that bringing Rakuten in as an affiliate would really get people to open up to experimentation. Yeah, Inapt Peacoats are a safe bet, but is anyone experimenting with Paranoid or As Venus?

I know why people don't experiment - there is a brand you like, with pieces that fit you, and it is a mainstay of the retailers you like as well. And well, maybe you don't have a ton of cash, so you will put it towards something you really like. But you don't have to go one way only.

So, Fok's mandate to Styleforum:

1) Go to Yoox. Or Rakuten. Or the affiliate vendors, who carry more than the dozen or so brands that *everyone* carries. Or Revolve (but be sure to use our banners). And devote, say, 30% of your clothing expenditures on a brand that you've never heard of, but whose pieces look good to you. Forget "shop by brand", and use "shop by category".

2) Don't use the excuse that you are poor, because A) There is Ramen, and B) There are plenty of affordable brands on Rakuten, and especially Yoox, and C) I know you guys shop anyway. Revolve too, is a good browse, though you may have to suspend your distaste at their models and try to imagine what looks good. If you are really influenced by that, go to Context or Oak, who have the best photography I've seen online. Do not go to Saks or Bergdorfs websites unless you aspire to look like a middle manager on his day off.

3) Do not return unless the piece is truly garbage. If you like the piece, awesome. If not, sell it on the Buying and Selling forum at a discount, and let someone else try. You will, probably get stuff that you like in return...

4) Comment on the brand and the piece on the forum. Lots of the brands on Rakuten do not market outside of Japan, and lots on Yoox, not outside of Italy, even, or France in some cases, so you will be doing everyone a service, and also get bragging rights for having "discovered" a brand.

5) Eschew the big international companies that market all other the place. Yeah, we know about Jil, and Raf. Man, if you pick up any glossy, you can't help but to know about all their trials and tribulations.

6) Here are some brands to get you started:

European Culture - slim fits, interesting materials, decent construction. They use lots of fleece and jersey. Reminds me a little of Wings+Horns.
Forniture Civili Out-Fit - a mid market Italian brand with a military bent in lots of their collections. Good fits for slimmer guys. Note that both these brands have shorter hems than most US makers, so good for shorter guys as well.
Apolis Activism: We are actually doing an awesome collaboration with them, so get used to the brand. It is military inspired. The piece we are doing is slim, but the brand typically sizes larger.
V::Room - great materials and slimmer fits, though they have been doing the drapey ninja thing lately.
Niccolo Ceschi Berrini - drapey fits. A little like V::Room, but based in Italy. The materials are delicate but surprisingly sturdy. The materials are also the drawing point.
TST: Interesting sneakers from a displaced Japanese designer. Athletic and outdoor inspired. Good materials.
G.V. Conte - the stuff made for American Market is sort of boxy, but in the native line, you can get slimmer shirts on the cheap.

Okay, let's do this...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
(cough) KZO (cough)

I don' t like change but I hear you. I wish more people would be exposed to Agnes B. Get Smart and I have been singing their praises for far too long now. Hell, I'm even wearing a shirt from them right now.

I don't like Yoox, though. They're racist against Costa Ricans.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool idea, but sizing would be a major problem, because I can only see these clothes online. Can't really get that in store experience.

ADH

Reaction score
I hail the challenge but guys are brand whores, what can we say? Girls aren't, we could learn a thing or two. Somewhere on a forum completely comprised of women they are having this same discussion but the other way around.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
V room is pretty dope though sizing runs small most of the time. Nice use of fabrics but something always falls short for me and can never put my finger on it.

Nice fok I see you decided to make a thread on this.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post.

I want to add some love for Berrini. It is like halfway between classic Italian and Goth Ninja, which I know sounds awful, but it's really great. Next yoox sale I am going to pick up a couple pieces. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing an overcoat in my size when it got knocked down to $150.

I promise to put some more "off the SF radar" WAYWTs soon.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I want to add some love for Berrini.
I read that as Bernini for a second, haha. I hope that isn't what you meant.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a grey henley from Niccolo Ceschi Berrini. The cotton is nice, and the buttons look to be smoked MOP. Too slim for me though, might have to sell it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Cool idea, but sizing would be a major problem, because I can only see these clothes online. Can't really get that in store experience.

That's true. But that is adventure for you. And that is why you are not using the bulk of your money for this. You have tons of clothes. Just shop for, say, 20% of them online.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We still need to go shopping! We can have a trip where we only grab more experimental/ non-americana stuff.
Originally Posted by PG2G
I read that as Bernini for a second, haha. I hope that isn't what you meant.
lol. nope, I was referring to the Italian brand.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Boy is that ever true with Yoox where sizing is a complete and total grabbag with unknown brands.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Nice uk muppet driver in germany avatar homey.

Btw, I hate berrini.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
That's true. But that is adventure for you. And that is why you are not using the bulk of your money for this. You have tons of clothes. Just shop for, say, 20% of them online.

I'll give it a shot, I like trying new things.

Originally Posted by Magician
We still need to go shopping! We can have a trip were we only grab more experimental/ non-americana stuff.

Yes we do, but where will we find these experimental non Americana items that you speak of in stale DC?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Nice uk muppet driver in germany avatar homey.

Btw, I hate berrini.

ROFL. I'm so glad someone else saw that story. Are you actually gonna be at Maruo's party?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads