• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skinny guy needs some help!

skeen

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious fact that I am headless, I need some help. Generally, I'm a fairly skinny guy - which I'm happy with, but I've put on a lot of weight in my mid-section!

I'm currently a 33 waist. I used to be, I think, a size or two smaller. And my belly noticeably protrudes. It's strange because, from the front, it looks okay...you can even see abs there in the right light!

I don't really have much of a problem with having a bit of a belly...belly's are fine, I think. I think that with some bulking on the arms, and legs, it can look pretty good. But I've got to get this belly down some - it just doesn't suit me.

Now, I'm wanting to bulk up anyway. Get some muscle on me. Will just, general working out, free-weights, etc. start reducing my belly naturally? Or, say, will the bulk built around the belly put it in proportion possibly?

I did running for a few weeks, about a few miles a day, for about 4 days a week, and it seemed to have some effect. But, I got tired of waking up at 6am!

I'm going to join a gym. If you can point me in the right direction, that would be great. One step I've taken is cutting down the amount of take-out, and drinking only diet and sugar-free sodas.

dsc0215hj7mq5.jpg

dsc0105gv6nu4.jpg

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Study here:

t-nation.com

Everything you need to know is in that site.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't go to t-mag.

You're in a fortunate position. As a young untrained kid you can put on muscle and lose fat over the next year. All you need is food, time under a bar, and food.

In 3 months you'll notice a change.

In 6 months other people will notice a change.

In a year you'll be a completely different person.

Buy this:

Starting Strength

And this:

Maximum Strength

Ask some questions once you've read the books.

Good luck.

lefty

Deluks917

Reaction score
Eat food and use barbells, preferably heavy ones. Don't kill yourself with the weight when you start and focus on making progress. Use good form. Squat.

This is the info you will get from everyone else too (cept Eason he might have something different but worthwhile to say)

For the record I just started lifting seriously and am following my own advice, results come pretty quick.

skeen

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
smile.gif
@mr.loveman: ease your latent homosexuality.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
@lefty - why no t-nation / t-mag?

Too much work to separate the few good things from all the bro-science.

lefty

skeen

Reaction score
I think I'm going to buy the Starting Strength book, and join the gym. Can I ask, will this regimen help to reduce my belly?

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skeen
I think I'm going to buy the Starting Strength book, and join the gym. Can I ask, will this regimen help to reduce my belly?

The regimin is solid and all but if you it was mostly intended to bulk on. I've gained a lot of strength on the program but have also gotten a bit fatter. I would get the book because of how awesome all those pages of pictures are but I'm not sure I'd follow the routine exactly for weight loss.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skeen

Your problem isn't belly fat, it's lack of size everywhere else. But usually a "new" trainee can put on muscle while losing fat. That won't always be the case, so take advantage of it while you can. You're going to have to work hard and eat a ton of food.

Goals are necessary. What do you want to look like or accomplish?

lefty

P.S. If you say "Brad Pitt in Fight Club" I'll stop responding.

skeen

Reaction score
LMAO. No, more like Ed Norton in American History X - but maybe even lesser so than him. I don't want to be bulky, just to have some bulk, to remain pretty slim. I recall that I did free-weights when I was a bit younger, for a few weeks, and it really built up some bulk in my arms, which remains to this day.

I think my goal is very achievable, but this ridiculous belly will certainly get in my way!

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Your problem isn't belly fat, it's lack of size everywhere else. But usually a "new" trainee can put on muscle while losing fat. That won't always be the case, so take advantage of it while you can. You're going to have to work hard and eat a ton of food.

Goals are necessary. What do you want to look like or accomplish?

lefty

P.S. If you say "Brad Pitt in Fight Club" I'll stop responding.

Brad Pitt in Fight Club. Please live up to your words. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads