• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harrisons of Edinburgh fabrics

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Plus they're practical because they are stronger. From a style perspective, they are not ready made.

Have you ever had belt loop failure? I haven't and I only have the ordinary, flimsy kind. But if your special needs require the extra-strength, industrial grade belt loops, I don't begrudge them to you.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Have you ever had belt loop failure? I haven't and I only have the ordinary, flimsy kind. But if your special needs require the extra-strength, industrial grade belt loops, I don't begrudge them to you.
I dont think I ever have. But i wasnt suggesting that normal loops are weak, I only meant that the tunnel loops are stronger, so there's a practical element to them. Think of it in terms of cloth thought on here. If something will last 100 years, then it's better than something thatll only last 75, right?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I dont think I ever have. But i wasnt suggesting that normal loops are weak, I only meant that the tunnel loops are stronger, so there's a practical element to them.

Think of it in terms of cloth thought on here. If something will last 100 years, then it's better than something thatll only last 75, right?

No to both. Unless you believe in amps that go to 11.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm no cloth expert, but do you really find it flimsy? Seems nice enough to me.
Harrisons Premier cru is better constructed with high grade ingredients. One of its benefits is that it is finer and feels both lighter and softer without being weaker than other cloths in its category.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rjmafoopig.jpg

I know when I have been pwned, and I have so been most thoroughly. I take my hat off to you sir. I am also thoroughly creeped out.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
I know when I have been pwned, and I have so been most thoroughly. I take my hat off to you sir. I am also thoroughly creeped out.

Nonsense. I have meant everything I have said and not said with the greatest affection. After all, even though the complexity of our relationship stretches the limits of comprehension, we are ulimately as close to being brothers as one can get without being one's self--oh wait. Well, you get the point. In fact, I know you do.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That's a nice ensemble, mafoo, but you know that a true Neapolitan does not wear French cuffs, don't you?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
That's a nice ensemble, mafoo, but you know that a true Neapolitan does not wear French cuffs, don't you?
manbearpig, not manboarpig...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's weird; I don't see many French cuffs around Naples. But every store sells cufflinks and both Anna and Mariano insist that French cuffs are always elegant and classic. Ultimately, I wonder how much the apparent preference for barrel cuffs is a function of current trends. Anyway, it's not like the vast majority of men in Naples would be considered elegant or well-dressed to begin with.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Both are wrong. RJmafoopig is your correct designation. I can't help it if you want to stray from the technical truth.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Would that be man-pig-pig?

It's weird; I don't see many French cuffs around Naples. But every store sells cufflinks and both Anna and Mariano insist that French cuffs are always elegant and classic. Ultimately, I wonder how much the apparent preference for barrel cuffs is a function of current trends. Anyway, it's not like the vast majority of men in Naples would be considered elegant or well-dressed.

I never see FCs on any well-dressed Italians, in Europe or here. Never.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In that case, I suppose I'm betraying my Chinese heritage to adopt the mannerisms of the French(?), not the Italians, when it comes to my cuffs.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would that be man-pig-pig?

Mariano wears them. Here is an email Anna's daughter sent me on the subject a while back.
In italia i gemelli si usano ma non come in america e in inghilterra perchè il bottone gemello viene visto per le camicie molto eleganti e perchè non è molto pratico da mettere al mattino per un popolo di ritardatari come gli italiani . Ma molti avvocati ingegneri o comunque persone che per lavoro devono usare una camicia elegante e che frequentano feste o serate di un certo livello spesso portano il gemello .
In Italy French cuffs are worn, but not like in America or England because the cufflink is seen as being for very elegant shirts, and because they are not very practical to put on each morning for a populace of stragglers (or always late people) like the Italians. But, lots of lawyers, engineers, or people who wear elegant shirts for work or go out at night at a certain level often wear them. FWIW, I have no clue what Italian engineers do which would require french cuffs.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
FWIW, I have no clue what Italian engineers do which would require french cuffs.

These days, maybe it's what they're not doing?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone here trafficked much in the Harrison Frontier bunch? Appears to be comparable-- or in the same category-- as the Lesser 9-10oz but with more mottled colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads