• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Tour of Paul Cicchini Custom Clothier--bespoke in Michigan (w/ pics)

tlmusic

Reaction score
Styleforum members may not be aware that there is a world-class bespoke operation in Birmingham, Michigan. I am a customer at Paul Cicchini Custom Clothier, and a couple days ago, the shop graciously allowed me to take some photographs. This is a rare behind the scenes look at bespoke suit making. The shop is named for Paul Cicchini, who is a noted tailor and highly honored member (and former President) of the CTDA. Although I have seen posts here speculating to the contrary, Mr. Cicchini is still quite active at the shop. I just recently saw him sewing away at patch pockets on an odd jacket. Mr. Cicchini is originally from Vasto, Italy and is in his eighties. The main area of the store is dedicated to luxury ready-to-wear. However, this post will concentrate on the tailoring operation. Here is the cloth room--the selection and quality of cloth compares favorably with what I have seen in New York. In addition to the full-on bespoke, they offer a CMT option, which results in a product somewhere between MTM and bespoke. I have couple suits from them made this way.
cicchini004op1.jpg
Now, on to the workroom, where garments are made in-house completely by hand. This picture was taken after hours. During the day this room is bustling with people making garments. Cicchini has 10-15 tailors on staff. These are not mere alterations tailors--most come from Italy, and many are trained pattern makers as well as sewers.
cicchini001eh8.jpg
Paper patterns for the "bench grade" suits.
cicchini002ag4.jpg
Suit in progress:
cicchini003nw9.jpg
Two exquisite chalkstripe jackets--One is blue and the other brown.
cicchini007ur2.jpg
Detail of Cicchini brown chalkstripe jacket lying on the work table. This suit was really impressive to see in person.
cicchini006me2.jpg

tlmusic

Reaction score
Well, the white jacket is not something I would personally order. The guys at the shop made me examine it closely, and I had to admit it was as well constructed as anything I've seen, with regard to lines, padding, shoulders, etc. I just wanted to show the range of items made by the shop.

Some of their most devoted (and wealthy) customers are looking for one-of-a-kind conversation pieces like this, and Cicchini is known for satisfying their requests.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Presumably "Benchgrade" is MTM - one set of patterns with no customer name is not bespoke.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Actually "Bench Grade" is full bespoke at Cicchini. Sorry if the post was unclear. Those patterns that are pictured have individual customer names on them.

sfo423

Reaction score
Possibly the pinstripes are for Kwame Kilpatrick? Oops, maybe not; he seems to prefer SB with no less than five buttons. Gangster style.
rimshot.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nicve post - thanks

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
what kind of pricing for their bespoke, MTM and RTW?

I am not certain, but I believe the MTM/custom ranges from about $1800-2500.

Bespoke I think starts about $4000. They have shown me several suits they were making that were $20,000+. Those suits were of vicuna and other ultra-premium fabrics.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just today, I emptied my closet and took five suits to Cicchini's for alterations. (A year of running nearly every day and being faithful to the gym has resulted in a 4 inch drop in my waist. Nothing fits--a nice problem.) The suits included 2 Cicchini MTMs, 2 Hickey Freeman MTMs, and an Oxxford MTM. The tailor who will be literally reconstructing the suits is "Nino"--a major talent and a real artisan. Any SF member visiting South East Michigan ought to make a visit to this fantastic store. As the pictures in the original post show, it is a fascinating place.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they do shirt alterations? My parents live in GPS and I will be visiting them in a month. I bought a few pairs of Kiton and Charvet that need moderate slimming.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I am not certain, but I believe the MTM/custom ranges from about $1800-2500.

Bespoke I think starts about $4000. They have shown me several suits they were making that were $20,000+. Those suits were of vicuna and other ultra-premium fabrics.

The music business must be good!
smile.gif

detroiter

Reaction score
I know this is old, but I just found it, I am heading here today actually, never been here.

mink31

Reaction score
I live near this place and would like to check it out. Does anyone who's been there think they'd be alright with me using them for alterations only?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads