• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong shopping

oneade

Reaction score
I will be visiting hong kong over xmas and have lots of shopping time as i'll be there for 3 weeks. I intend to visit WW Chan for a suit or two depending on $$. Hopefully i won't be disappointed with their construction. I remember walking into Sams (in the same building as Chans, but I wasn't aware of SF then) and was pretty disappointed with their quality.

However, I'm at a loss as to where to look for some good shoes, hopefully reasonably priced. Does anyone stock Crockett & Jones over there or Allan Edmonds? What are Magnannis like? I remember seeing some at Lane Crawford.

Apart from Jantzens where should I look for quality shirts? Who has a selection of good fabrics?

mrphrog

Reaction score
Don't think you can find C&J or AE in HK. tassels carries EG and Alden. I don't own any Magnanni but they look overpriced to me at almost $400 retail.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From all that I have heard of Sam's, I have every confidence that you will find W.W. Chan's quality vastly superior to Sam's. Just head right up those stairs to Chan's!

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneade
I will be visiting hong kong over xmas and have lots of shopping time as i'll be there for 3 weeks. I intend to visit WW Chan for a suit or two depending on $$. Hopefully i won't be disappointed with their construction. I remember walking into Sams (in the same building as Chans, but I wasn't aware of SF then) and was pretty disappointed with their quality.

Patrick is leaving for his US tour this Friday and is expected to be away for three weeks, so your timing is good.

Originally Posted by oneade
However, I'm at a loss as to where to look for some good shoes, hopefully reasonably priced. Does anyone stock Crockett & Jones over there or Allan Edmonds? What are Magnannis like? I remember seeing some at Lane Crawford.

Yes, Lane Crawford at the IFC has Magnannis.

Given the fear of an economic slow down here, I suspect that this year's sales could be quite spectacular. SOGO just had a massive sale over the weekend on Zegna, Gieves and Hawkes, Testoni, ST Dupont with up to 70% mark down. Needed to sieve through a tonne of crap but a some great bargains none-the-less.

Gaz

sf_esq

Reaction score
Lane Crawford at Pacific Place also carries Magnani. Bought a pair two years ago on sale for about $150. They have held up well so far, especially at that price. Does anyone know when the holiday sales really kick off? I'll be there a couple of days after Christmas and am curious if that will be the first markdown. Been there for the last markdown a couple of times in July and found some great deals.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Patrick is leaving for his US tour this Friday and is expected to be away for three weeks, so your timing is good.

Yes, Lane Crawford at the IFC has Magnannis.

Given the fear of an economic slow down here, I suspect that this year's sales could be quite spectacular. SOGO just had a massive sale over the weekend on Zegna, Gieves and Hawkes, Testoni, ST Dupont with up to 70% mark down. Needed to sieve through a tonne of crap but a some great bargains none-the-less.

Gaz

Damn, didn't catch that. is it still on?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Damn, didn't catch that. is it still on?

It was suppose to end on Sunday but there was a lot of excess stock. The Zegna's were mostly Eastern European made. Some nice Gieves and Hawkes jackets but all were too small. There were also some very nice Kent and Curwen pieces on sale but also nothing in my size. It was held at the ballroom on level 21 of the SOGO building.

Picked up 3 Zegna ties at 70% off and a Testoni belt at 35% off. There were some nice Testoni bags as well.

I was surprised by the number of Mainland Chinese in attendance.

Gaz

oneade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrphrog
Don't think you can find C&J or AE in HK. tassels carries EG and Alden. I don't own any Magnanni but they look overpriced to me at almost $400 retail.

No CJs or AEs ?! I thought HK had everything... I'll stop by tassels for a look. EGs are probably out of my price range, unless they have a sale with a big discount.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
From all that I have heard of Sam's, I have every confidence that you will find W.W. Chan's quality vastly superior to Sam's. Just head right up those stairs to Chan's!

Excellent!

Gaz

I'm already salivating at the thought of discounts!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I
I was surprised by the number of Mainland Chinese in attendance.

Gaz

You are joking right..
smile.gif

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Necro bumping. Will likely be in Hong Kong for the first time in December. Sourcing any shopping and other recommendations.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's plenty to read covering all manner of tailors/shops (clothes only) - try 'search', no one could begin to set forth which is already available. If you have a lot of money then The Armoury or Lane Crawford, if not go to Shau Kai Wan which is the poorer end of town.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads