• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Espresso Maker

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Gaggia Classic is on the fritzl.
frown.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Is that the standard pricing? I tried Nespresso at their Madison Avenue shop and thought it was pretty good, but since you have only one source for the coffee, I was curious about the pricing.

it ranges depending on what type of pods you buy - but between $.17 and $.25 is normal.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PUS1pop.jpg

Pulls a great shot.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree with the conversation that pretty much all espresso in Italy is better than anything stateside. But I'm biased to things south of Naples.

So while a machine is good on the go, I've got my grandmothers very old neapolitan stove top maker that I prefer to use. Looks similar to this:
1082_5755.jpg

Reaction score
Matt is right (again). Try Bar Mexico in Napoli, and there are many others as well. Saint Eustachio is unique but IMO not the best in Rome. Try Cafffe(3f's) Camerino and Gran Caffe La Caffettiera.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That thing is cool.

Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I would agree with the conversation that pretty much all espresso in Italy is better than anything stateside. But I'm biased to things south of Naples.

So while a machine is good on the go, I've got my grandmothers very old neapolitan stove top maker that I prefer to use. Looks similar to this:
1082_5755.jpg

chas

Reaction score
I have a Saeco Classico. It is great. I have had it for 3 years and initially wanted to buy a Rancho Silvia. I bought through 1st-line.com all they do is coffe. It turns out the Silvia is great but only if you will be grinding your own beans all of the time. Those guys saved me $200 with that bit of advice. If you are really looking to buy I would check 1st line and give them a call. It is important to be honest with yourself about how you will use the machine (how often, self grind, pods, semi-auto, full-auto, etc). The right machine for you depends more on how you will use it than anything else.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I have a Krups Orchestro Fully Automated. I bought it over 5 years ago and haven't had a single problem. Easy to take apart and clean. I paid over 1k for it new, but you can find this model or a similar newer model for under $500 on closeout. Well worth the money.

orcastro.jpg

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out www.gustiamo.com for coffee from Sant Eustachio as well as other treats from Italy. New Yorkers, I believe Gustiamo has periodic warehouse sales.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
I have a Saeco Classico. It is great. I have had it for 3 years and initially wanted to buy a Rancho Silvia. I bought through 1st-line.com all they do is coffe. It turns out the Silvia is great but only if you will be grinding your own beans all of the time. Those guys saved me $200 with that bit of advice. If you are really looking to buy I would check 1st line and give them a call. It is important to be honest with yourself about how you will use the machine (how often, self grind, pods, semi-auto, full-auto, etc). The right machine for you depends more on how you will use it than anything else.

I really appreciate the advice. I was seriously eyeing the Rancho Silvia, but didn't really plan on grinding for myself all the time. I'll check out the website you mention and the Saeco Classico.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No one who is even remotely serious about coffee should be buying pre-ground coffee. Come on, people!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1

I did not get the Silvia because of all the talk of inconsistency of the shot and the extensive learning curve. Summary of what I read was once you learn to use the machine it is great but it takes some time to learn to use it.

I bought the Ascaso Dream because of the looks and it has turned out to be a pretty good machine.

At some time I want to get a double boiler machine.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
No one who is even remotely serious about coffee should be buying pre-ground coffee. Come on, people!

I know, I really can't explain that. I'm a former chef who has been a chef-instructor for the past 14 years. I've no problem getting up at 5:00 am to start a wood-fired grill to smoke some pork butts or to spend the day making veal stock at home, but I consider it a hassle to grind my own beans. Thanks for the thrashing; I'll get my stuff together!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I heard an interesting point of view about using pods. Pods are packaged/ sealed so quickly after grinding that they keep very well and stay fresh due to the limited air exposure.

Any contrary opinions?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
...I wonder if there's any truth to the 'secret ingredient' theory and Wizard of Oz-like privacy sreen next to the machine.
marchal.gif

santeu3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads