• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Hockey

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Cool skates. Aren't Grafs heavy? They used to be when they first came out (many moons ago). I've used CCM for just about my entire time skating. I always thought they were the best...

Nope not anymore. They are all carbon fiber now and very light, just like all the skates now. But they still cost an arm and leg. Although, Grafs are still the most durable skates on the market.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
Nope not anymore. They are all carbon fiber now and very light, just like all the skates now. But they still cost an arm and leg. Although, Grafs are still the most durable skates on the market.

If I'd start to play hockey again, I'd consider Grafs or brands other than CCM. They all seem to use the same technology for the most part.

I remember when CCM skates had the slanted forward footbed. I think they were the "Ultra Tacks". After wearing Tacks I couldn't wear Bauer (100's then 1000's) because they had a more flat foot design. Then all of the skates started to have the slanted forward design.

I also had "Vacu Tacks". When I bought the skates, they put my feet (with the skates on) in some plastic bags and sucked the air out of the bags forming the skates to my feet. Ah, the good old days...
musicboohoo[1].gif

My friend had Microns when they first came out. (the all plastic boots) I think Steve Duschene (sp?) wore them. They broke eventually. Hilarious!

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
If I'd start to play hockey again, I'd consider Grafs or brands other than CCM. They all seem to use the same technology for the most part.

I remember when CCM skates had the slanted forward footbed. I think they were the "Ultra Tacks". After wearing Tacks I couldn't wear Bauer (100's then 1000's) because they had a more flat foot design. Then all of the skates started to have the slanted forward design.

I also had "Vacu Tacks". When I bought the skates, they put my feet (with the skates on) in some plastic bags and sucked the air out of the bags forming the skates to my feet. Ah, the good old days...
musicboohoo[1].gif

My friend had Microns when they first came out. (the all plastic boots) I think Steve Duschene (sp?) wore them. They broke eventually. Hilarious!

Microns were incredible for their time. I see them now and again, due to their quality and performance. Players just dont want to get rid of them. Yea, all skates have to be "baked" nowadays in an oven to loosen the material up and form fit into your foot. Its the equivalent to wearing the skate for a few hours on the ice. I had a good experience with CCMs but that was when I started, it didnt perform that well IMO. Grafs are the best skates I have ever had. Bauer back in the day were so goddamn narrow and hard to break in. I wasted so much money on them.
plain.gif

mockingboy

Reaction score
Hockey is the best of all the sports to see live. There are almost no commercial breaks (because no ons is watching) and the action is so fast. Go Rangers! this is our year.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mockingboy
Hockey is the best of all the sports to see live. There are almost no commercial breaks (because no ons is watching) and the action is so fast. Go Rangers! this is our year.
I need to go to a couple of games this year. I see theyre playing well as a team.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I'm bored and can't sleep I'm watching a ladies hockey game on TV. It's pathetic. They're just all so bad...

In other news, I started playing hockey again after a long hiatus. It's so frustrating not being able to play as well as I used to.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooops.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Because I'm bored and can't sleep I'm watching a ladies hockey game on TV. It's pathetic. They're just all so bad...

In other news, I started playing hockey again after a long hiatus. It's so frustrating not being able to play as well as I used to.

Nice, roller or ice? and what position?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy

Haha, I watched it for 5 minutes until that one girl fell on her rear while skating backwards on that 1-on-1. I couldn't bear to watch it after that.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bauer Supreme Composite 5000s FTW!
bigstar[1].gif

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's "Ice" Hockey?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Guess it was just a matter of time. If he does land in Toronto (and what are the chances he won't?), it will certainly be a lift, but I wouldn't count on that quick a turnaround. Must admit, I'm about as far removed from a Leaf's fan there is, but at least they've been somewhat entertaining to watch so far.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Flyers have are 4-1 in the last 5...... the world is coming to an end!

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so it looks like Burke taking on the Leafs' president / GM role is now pretty much signed and sealed. Any thoughts from the five (or six) SF hockey fans on this? I think any attempt to shape the team in the mold of the Ducks won't work, although it will be an interesting ride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads