• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Asians wear tweeds, browns, and bold patterns?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think Asians should wear kimonos or Mao suits. Tweed, never.

Well. when it comes down to it, isn't the kimono the ultimate expression of the drape cut and natural shoulder?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
I don't know what's going on here but it doesn't make any sense to me. Personally, I subscribe to a Japanese men's magazine because all of the US equivalents are sh*t! Here is a recent advertisement from Men's Club. Tweeds and all other fabrics and cuts look outstanding on Japanese men. They are heads and shoulders above the average American male in their style and elegant clothing. What is going on with this thread?
Fineboys+ Suits is a better representative of what Japanese men wear in real life rather than what the internet thinks they do. Men's Ex is for the older crowd ime.
mag1.jpg
Also - Japanese people don't all look like the magazines!

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
+1.

When did "third world" make its way onto the verboten list?

I also wonder about your terminology. How can you consider Japan third world? They think of the US as a colony of Japan. We provide raw materials and labor for their sophisticated and technologically advanced products. Further, the US is an excellent market for the fruits of their technical and economic superiority, i.e. a colony. Where does third world factor into the equation?

jcriswel

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well. when it comes down to it, isn't the kimono the ultimate expression of the drape cut and natural shoulder?

Now you are just trolling. For shame.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also wonder about your terminology. How can you consider Japan third world? They think of the US as a colony of Japan. We provide raw materials and labor for their sophisticated and technologically advanced products. Further, the US is an excellent market for the fruits of their technical and economic superiority, i.e. a colony. Where does third world factor into the equation?

jcriswel

I don't see where Matt called Japan a third-world country.

Originally Posted by Manton
Now you are just trolling. For shame.

I was just sayin'.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't see where Matt called Japan a third-world country.
If "third world" means "wierd and space age" then it is.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Huh?

I was agreeing with you that people were overthinking.

I said third world recently at a dinner party, and was quickly corrected and told that I should say "developing nations" instead. I countered that I hoped for our nation to continue to develop, but that didn't go over well. A few days later I was corrected again with the same replacement offered. I guess it is the new oriental (which I still say.)

jcriswel

Umm. What? I was asking about the term in general. I didn't say Japan was third world.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ rjbearhugman

Aren't Gujarati people technically of Persian stock ?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
We get it already.
If only.
I don't know what's going on here but it doesn't make any sense to me. Personally, I subscribe to a Japanese men's magazine because all of the US equivalents are sh*t! Here is a recent advertisement from Men's Club. Tweeds and all other fabrics and cuts look outstanding on Japanese men. They are heads and shoulders above the average American male in their style and elegant clothing. What is going on with this thread?

jcriswel

Reaction score
I was agreeing with you that people were overthinking.

I said third world recently at a dinner party, and was quickly corrected and told that I should say "developing nations" instead. I countered that I hoped for our nation to continue to develop, but that didn't go over well. A few days later I was corrected again with the same replacement offered. I guess it is the new oriental (which I still say.)

Umm. What? I was asking about the term in general. I didn't say Japan was third world.

Japan is in Asia!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Japan is in Asia!
Did I say all Asian countries were third world
confused.gif
. I simply asked about the term, since other recently disallowed terms were being discussed.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was agreeing with you that people were overthinking. I said third world recently at a dinner party, and was quickly corrected and told that I should say "developing nations" instead. I countered that I hoped for our nation to continue to develop, but that didn't go over well. A few days later I was corrected again with the same replacement offered. I guess it is the new oriental (which I still say.)
What kind of fascistic dinner parties do you go to? I recently said Oriental, and Negro in polite circumstances. I think some blanched, but they were intimidated by me being well-dressed to counter any response.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tweed and flannel season in Hong Kong is short by N.American standards. Heavier fabrics are, in fact, even more appropriate during December-February in HK than in the NE USA for the simple reason that HK buildings don't have central heat. Temps in HK never dip below 40F but sitting in your office at 45 degrees makes heavy wool a necessity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads