• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Asians wear tweeds, browns, and bold patterns?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
Indians are South Asian

In American English they are. The East Asian community appropriated the term "Asian" in American English at the dawn of PC in the early 1990s (perhaps to replace the now offensive term "Oriental"), and they are not giving it back. However, in the UK, and by extension in British English everywhere else, "Asian" generally denotes people of Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi or Indian descent. This goes back much earlier, cf Lester, Richard: Juggernaut (1974).

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
Indians are South Asian

Indo-europeans... completely different breed than mongolian/chinese.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
If you don't understand the problem with the word 'oriental' then why on earth would you reprimand someone for using it?

Personally I don't let the crazy PC crowd tell me what words I can and cannot use.

My reprimand was jocular, especially since he was Japanese-American. Few individuals can be less PC than I am!

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Which makes them less Asian somehow? And what exactly do you mean by "breed"? We're talking about human beings, not lutino parakeets.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc

But the Dravidians of south India--Tamils, Telugus--are not Indo-Europeans/Aryans. Nor, I believe are some of the "tribal" peoples of India.

In any event, I thought a term like "Asian" applied to the continent of origin, not any specific group of ethno-linguistic affinities.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
But the Dravidians of south India--Tamils, Telugus--are not Indo-Europeans/Aryans. Nor, I believe are some of the "tribal" peoples of India.

In any event, I thought a term like "Asian" applied to the continent of origin, not any specific group of ethno-linguistic affinities.

+1.

Too much overthinking going on in this thread.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
2240540553_c69e56253b.jpg

I can't say enough about this jacket. I love it. More info please.

jcriswel

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on here but it doesn't make any sense to me. Personally, I subscribe to a Japanese men's magazine because all of the US equivalents are sh*t! Here is a recent advertisement from Men's Club. Tweeds and all other fabrics and cuts look outstanding on Japanese men. They are heads and shoulders above the average American male in their style and elegant clothing. What is going on with this thread?

mensclubtweedrg3.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
+1.

Too much overthinking going on in this thread.

+1. When did "third world" make its way onto the verboten list?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think Asians should wear kimonos or Mao suits. Tweed, never.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know "third world" was on the verboten list. Doesn't surprise me. Practically everything ends up there! I suppose it has undergone a shift in meaning over the years. As I recall its origins, it was coined by Sukarno in which he differentiated between the capitalistic "First World," the communist "Second World," with the neutral, non-aligned countries like his Indonesia forming the the "Third World." I think the term has morphed to mean any poor, non-white country and its people, which isn't the way it started out. Since the Second World has largely vanished except for China, Cuba, North Korean and Vietnam (and maybe Belarus and one of two others), I suppose it has become meaningless in its original sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads