• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what does it mean to wear something ironically?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the navy blazer hate thread, many people mention wearing clothes in an "ironic" manner. I have absolutely no idea what this means. Can someone explain this concept to me?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
In the navy blazer hate thread, many people mention wearing clothes in an "ironic" manner. I have absolutely no idea what this means. Can someone explain this concept to me?

Consider yourself not a tool, and lucky. And try to stay that way.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If your blazer buttons have the Harvard crest, and the point is to announce to the world that you went to Harvard, and therefore you are a superior person, that is not ironic.

If the point to make fun of people who think they are superior because they went to Harvard (because, after all, so did you, but you would never be so crass as to rub other peoples' noses in it, which means that you are truly the superior one), that is ironic.

It is not so easy to distinguish in practice.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
If your blazer buttons have the Harvard crest, and the point is to announce to the world that you went to Harvard, and therefore you are a superior person, that is not ironic.

If the point to make fun of people who think they are superior because they went to Harvard (because, after all, so did you, but you would never be so crass as to rub other peoples' noses in it, which means that you are truly the superior one), that is ironic.

Yeah, I was with you on the first paragraph, but the second one lost me. I guess I'm a results type of person, so I am failing to see the difference between the two situations. Either way a Harvard alum is wearing a blazer with Harvard buttons.. . .help me out here... maybe I'm missing something?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yeah, I was with you on the first paragraph, but the second one lost me. I guess I'm a results type of person, so I am failing to see the difference between the two situations. Either way a Harvard alum is wearing a blazer with Harvard buttons.. . .help me out here... maybe I'm missing something?

That's the best I can do. Perhaps my explanation does not make sense because the phenomenon itself is self-contradictory.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Subtle hints will broadcast to you that the person is being ironic, it's all about what they pair it with, how they act and what they talk about.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I wear something like this, then I might be ironic:

Smooth%20Wyn.jpg

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

That is because in either case, the person is a tool.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Subtle hints will broadcast to you that the person is being ironic, it's all about what they pair it with, how they act and what they talk about.

Alright. Can you elaborate on those hints?

For example, I am in situations where someone else has money that I want. I dress professionally to help support my case that it is a good idea to give me some of their money. I talk about how good an idea it is to give me some of their money. I wear professional clothes like suits, shirts, ties, etc. I act like I know what I am talking about.

Is any of that dressing with irony?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Is the original picture damaged or is he wearing marbled pants because that'd be amazing.

I'm afraid they appear to be just black pants. No Jil Sander marbling effects.

Originally Posted by dopey
No. It would be advertising.

I want to support Thom.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright. Can you elaborate on those hints?

For example, I am in situations where someone else has money that I want. I dress professionally to help support my case that it is a good idea to give me some of their money. I talk about how good an idea it is to give me some of their money. I wear professional clothes like suits, shirts, ties, etc. I act like I know what I am talking about.

Is any of that dressing with irony?

No. That is disguise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads