• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
I'm going to have to designate another Varvatos/Vintage testing day because for the life of me I can't remember the differences between the two.

Yesterday was a bit chilly so I put on some Issey for a change.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jicky for me today. I haven't worn this one in ages. Lord, it stinks, but I love it. In this cooler weather the baby **** comes alive and the lavender tones down... it's truly unique and not something that can be adequately described. You can definitely tell it's been around since the 1870's...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ - heh, another stinker today - Kouros, the original. Applied liberally, since I'd forgotten how potent this one is.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I propose, SF Fragrance friends, a joint effort amongst all of us to stink up our worlds this week.

SO, I bring you Nov. 2-6: THE WEEK OF STINKERS.

Please only wear your smelliest fragrances today through Friday. Think of it as a fall Getaway, a protest about the election, or anything you want.

And post the results. So far, Jicky has not been noticed by any students or colleagues. I may have to reapply at lunch.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ha, People are stopping at my door, but only the brave (or nasally stopped up) are venturing inside my office. Wonder why I don't wear this every day.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Ha, People are stopping at my door, but only the brave (or nasally stopped up) are venturing inside my office. Wonder why I don't wear this every day.

Sometime you should try Creed Orange Spice. It's like Kouros, only stinkier. And with oranges!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Jicky for me today. I haven't worn this one in ages. Lord, it stinks, but I love it. In this cooler weather the baby **** comes alive and the lavender tones down... it's truly unique and not something that can be adequately described. You can definitely tell it's been around since the 1870's...
What strength Jicky? Today Pen. Blenheim Bouquet. On the subject of strength . . . I was sitting with my wife at the Opera this weekend and, just before the curtain opened for the second half, I asked her what perfume she was wearing? She told me to guess and held up her wrist. "Nothing," I guessed. She was surprised and said "what are you talking about, I feel like I have been gagging on it" and gave me her wrist again. I still smelled nothing and sat back. Then it hit me. "Angel. I felt like I've been sitting in a chocolate bar all night and had no idea why." Though it was wafting off of her or all night, I smelled nothing on her skin.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^For daily wear, I just do the EdT. The EdP and parfum are what you'd really want to get the full effect, but there's only so much full-on babyshit civet that my coworkers can take.

The EdT definitely gives you the "effect," but all around it softens and gives you a more pleasant, subtler experience.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im starting my stinky week off with Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver,
this stuff is pretty potent, im still not sure i can pull it off - but its definitely the most stank cologne i have right now...

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I get none of the civet effect from Jicky EdT. The PdT was unwearable for me and I sold it a few years ago.

I've been neglecting most of my scents all summer except for a handful of faves, but I dug into my wardrobe and wore l'air du desert moroccain and Vetiver Oriental on this past rainy weekend. I havdn't been in the mood for big orientals for a long time but it was a nice change of pace and my girlfriend loved both of them.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
Im starting my stinky week off with Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver,
this stuff is pretty potent, im still not sure i can pull it off - but its definitely the most stank cologne i have right now...

I don't see how anything vetiver is stanky. What else does LV put in there???

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I don't see how anything vetiver is stanky. What else does LV put in there???

It may not be really stanky, but it is pretty strong and spicy - very distinct...
At first I didnt really like it, but its quickly growing on me!

I recommend checking it out at least

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
It may not be really stanky, but it is pretty strong and spicy - very distinct...
At first I didnt really like it, but its quickly growing on me!

I recommend checking it out at least

hmmm. may have to check into samples for this one...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I get none of the civet effect from Jicky EdT. The PdT was unwearable for me and I sold it a few years ago.

I've been neglecting most of my scents all summer except for a handful of faves, but I dug into my wardrobe and wore l'air du desert moroccain and Vetiver Oriental on this past rainy weekend. I havdn't been in the mood for big orientals for a long time but it was a nice change of pace and my girlfriend loved both of them.

Like I said above, the EdT is a LOT more subtle, but does give you the overall "Jicky-ness" but in a much more manageable way. That's why I like it for daily wear.

The Parfum is fun for reminding you how things might have been 100 years ago, but I agree that it's rather unruly for regular use in normal society.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads