• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recs for NYC steakhouse

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick list....

Rothmans - One of the best in Manhattan, they do not get enough credit. There isnt as much charm to the place like the palm or old homestead, but they just never get it wrong. Best bone-in ribeye in the city. At least you can smoke outside too. 9/10

Bobby Vans - Great steaks, great sides, real old school menu, the way it should be, great wine list. Always the best cuts. 8.5/10

Old Homestead - The original in Gotham. Lots of charm here, old school menu, great cuts, there is just something missing for me though. They do have the $40 burger tho... 8/10

Wolfgangs - Peter Luger in New York, but not quite as good. They char a little bit too much for my tastes 7.5/10

The Palm - There are about a million of them, 3 in the city alone. Eat at the original if you are going to go to any (even the palm too is accaptable to me, but dont go to the one on the dity west side, there is no charm at that one). The meat is good, the sides are good, the lobster is good, but its nothing amazing. 7/10

Smith and Wollensky - I live right around the corner from this place, and I have been here twice, that should say enough. Not much charm, the food is good, but its nothing amazing. When your in walking distance of about 5 other top notch steakhouse, its hard to show up here 6/10

Mortons - Eh, its good, but come on. Ive actually had some fantastic steaks here, but being in Manhattan, and eating at an international chain just hurts for some reason. At least the palm and s/w started in NY. There is ZERO charm here. 5.5/10

Uncle Jacks Steakhouse - Easily the worst steakhouse Ive been to in my life Black on the outside, blue on the inside. Everything was just bad, from the steak sauce on down. Never, ever, ever eat here. 2/10

And remember kids, real men eat Bone-in Ribeyes. That is by FAR the best cut of meat. A fillet may be tender, but there is no flavor.

Post.Script - Who no lugers?

samblau

Reaction score
As an unemployed young person potentially resorting to unemployment I can see no better way to spend my time than discussing NYC steakhouses.

I will mention a few I did not see here:

Mark Joseph - Pecks Slip downtown - Another Luger clone, great in every way. Service was good, steaks done right and an awesome blueberry crumb when I went.

Del Frisco's - Midtown - Have enjoyed all of my meals there, very satisfied, although expensive even by NYC steakhouse standards.

Frankie and Johnnie's - a few locations - Have not been myself, but my parents who are chronic complainers liked it.

Maloney & Porcelli - Midtown - I love this lace for the $75 all you can drink wine dinner. Food and service very good.

Only place I would never return too is Old Homestead. Sparks is reliable but apparently does not care about return business, never had god service there. Ben Bensons was solid. Gallaghers was better than expected but have not been in years. Smith & Wollensky is a good stand-by. Mortons is the same in every city, a notch below if you ask me however they run some pretty good specials if you are on theirm mailing list i.e. dinner for 2 for $99.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahah Im a student who is pretttyyy poor at times. There is nothing more I love than going to Rothmans and dropping 1/2 of my bank account on dinner with two weeks till my next check

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to Sparks once. Honestly, I've had better steaks at outback. I hope my experience isn't the norm.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Went to Sparks once. Honestly, I've had better steaks at outback. I hope my experience isn't the norm.

I've been a few times and while it is not my favorite, I think it is quite good.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
This new place Center Cut, I think, just opened up down the block across from Lincoln Center/above PJ Clarkes/below The Empire Hotel got some pre-opening excitment via NY Mag IIRC.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
A quick list....

And remember kids, real men eat Bone-in Ribeyes. That is by FAR the best cut of meat. A fillet may be tender, but there is no flavor.

Post.Script - Who no lugers?

Alas, someone who agrees with me! I often find myself fighting people who think fillet is the best...come on..no flavor give me a big juicy BONE IN RIBEYE!!!!

DeCaloFashion1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Smith & Wollensky's up on 49th and 3rd or so was always pretty reliable, although they took the French wines off the carte post 9/11 and have been opening branches everywhere. So that might no longer be a useful place.

Though what they lack in French wines is more than made up for in their comprehensive selection of California wines. And the "Fish Bowl" table is great fun! I am a big fan of S & W's.

bullethead

Reaction score
bone in ribeye at strip house was really good. another place to try would be Dylan Prime in tribeca.
they have pulled pork filled tater tots for chrissakes.

If your night is more date than business, the above steakhouses would be great choices.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take clients out quite a bit so I've managed to try most of these places on expense account money. At one point I visited sparks and s&w about twice a month for a year and I've come to believe there is a fair amount of variation from visit to visit. I think this helps to account for widely varying reviews. On the best cut question, I worked my way through college waiting tables at a steakhouse and they taught us the two best cuts were ribeye and porterhouse. I've come to agree with this but of course if you've tried these cuts and prefer fm, have at it.

Unfortunately for me, I like steak but don't love it. On any given night, I'd rather spend the money on food that allows a chef to express his/her creativity. A great falafel instead of a trip to the palm works for me any day.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strip House was fantastic. Highly, highly recommended.

syn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
Strip House was fantastic. Highly, highly recommended.

Another vote for Strip House. Been there 3 times and has never come anything short of excellence. If you're going with enough people, try to manage the chocolate cake after your meal. It's absolutely massive and quite tasty. Though, I should warn you that the bliss will be fleeting as this will most likely push you over the edge.

Also been to Smith & Wollensky which I felt was a major disappointment and Luger's (another disappointment). The meat looked incredible at the latter, but the taste simply did not match.

JR88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I went to Sparks once many moons ago for the wine list-- and found that it was much better than the actual meal.

+1

Half the fun at Sparks is the wine list. They don't mark up the wine very much at all; for $100 you can get a $65 bottle. What is marked up -- just a tad, compared to other beeferies -- is the food. But all told, very consistent and no. 1 on my list. (Original Palm is pretty good too.)

Avoid the chains from other cities (Mortons, Shula's, etc.)

mps23

Reaction score
Keen's - steak's good, but the burger is better. 3.5/5

Wolfgangs - I tried the one downtown in Tribecca. sides are good as well: 4/5

Smith and Wollensky - probably the worst of the big steakhouses in NY: 2.5/5

Bobby Van's on 53rd st: pretty good 4/5

Sparks: 3.5/5

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads