• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kilgour French & Stanbury Shoes?

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Any opinions? I am looking at some for what I think may be a good price, but I really have no idea. Any comparisons to other Bench Made in England shoes would be helpful. Thank you gentlemen.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flimsychicken
Any opinions? I am looking at some for what I think may be a good price, but I really have no idea. Any comparisons to other Bench Made in England shoes would be helpful. Thank you gentlemen.
Kilgour French & Stanbury doesn't make shoes. Nor does the label "bench made in England" really mean anything. They were made by one of the English shoe manufacturers, and if you knew which, and to what standard, you would have a better sense of relative quality. KF&S is no longer a name with a strong brand value to protect, so my guess is that they were contracted out to a manufacturer who could deliver at the best price. If they are 20 years old, that might be a different story. Have a look at the bench made (rather than handgrade) Crockett & Jones shoes or maybe Alfred Sargent or Trickers. You might see similarities in the nail patterns or other things that would give you an idea of who made them.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am most definitely a novice when it comes to shoes.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
I'll give it a try. If any one knows who KFT would have contracted for shoes, let please let me know.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I have a pair of old Kilgour shoes. My guess as to their maker is either Cheaney or AS. I say those two because they're not gunboat-y enough to be Trickers and I don't have any other shoes from those two makers but based on the markings inside they are not C&J, EG, or Grenson Masterpiece.

EDIT: based on the thread linked above, the nail pattern on mine actually look a lot like the Thome Brown Trickers...or the Lobbs.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Perhaps these will help. Obviously the tap does not help, and it is not a close up, but it is all i have right now. Thanks again for the help.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Just an update if there is anyone out there that is curious about this. I received an e-mail correspondence from a KFS representative, and he informed me that KFS shoes are made by Crockett & Jones.

This was good news to me (I did not want to hear Loake).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads