• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Navy Blue Double-Breasted Blazer

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have this jacket, or know much about it?

I tried it on today, fit amazing, dual vents, ticket pocket, Polo IV cut. With the Polo sale, it's around 700 bucks, give or take.

Any advice on a similar one? BB fits kinda bleh.

FYI: I am 43/44R if anyone have one similar for sale.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...295249_3228702

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks quite short. I don't like DB jackets on the short side.

BB might have a higher end one. They usually have them at several price points. I had one from BB in a lighter weight wool and had my tailor nip it in the waist. That tailoring really jazzed it up. But, for that to work it has to fit perfectly in the shoulder.

Originally Posted by farfisa23

I tried it on today, fit amazing, dual vents, ticket pocket, Polo IV cut. With the Polo sale, it's around 700 bucks, give or take.

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23

What do you mean by Brooks Brothers fits kinda bleh - too loose? Too slim? There are many Brooks Brothers lines, both in terms of quality and fit. The Black Fleece line isn't bad to look at if you want something more modern and fashion forward - it's designed by Thom Browne. Do you specifically want a DB blazer? More info please.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I found a vintage Hart Schaffner & Marx navy blue DB blazer with silver buttons at a vintage store in the Valley a few weeks ago. I picked it up from the tailor on Friday. I'm not sure how old it is (70s ?) but the styling is pretty current. The wool is some kind of heavy worsted - like it's about 3/4 of the way to peacoat weight. But it's only half lined and the fabric is loosely woven enough to be fairly cool. I freaking love this thing - I wore it all weekend and I'm not sure how I got by without it before now. A worthy investment. For the $700 Polo is charging you can probably get Chan to make you one.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I found a vintage Hart Schaffner & Marx navy blue DB blazer with silver buttons at a vintage store in the Valley a few weeks ago. I picked it up from the tailor on Friday. I'm not sure how old it is (70s ?) but the styling is pretty current. The wool is some kind of heavy worsted - like it's about 3/4 of the way to peacoat weight. But it's only half lined and the fabric is loosely woven enough to be fairly cool. I freaking love this thing - I wore it all weekend and I'm not sure how I got by without it before now. A worthy investment. For the $700 Polo is charging you can probably get Chan to make you one.

I was doing the thrift store route, but the one at RL in perfect. Maybe I'll keep looking, the sale ends on Nov 12.

When I come to LA later this month, you and I will be the prepster Bobsy twins.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopamine
What do you mean by Brooks Brothers fits kinda bleh - too loose? Too slim? There are many Brooks Brothers lines, both in terms of quality and fit. The Black Fleece line isn't bad to look at if you want something more modern and fashion forward - it's designed by Thom Browne. Do you specifically want a DB blazer? More info please.

A lot of the BB Navy Blazers fit too blobby for me from what I tried on, which was all of them, country club, regular BB and the Black Fleece, those ones are great, but I don't like the fabric on the BF.

I specifically want a Navy Blue DB with gold/brass buttons.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
It looks quite short. I don't like DB jackets on the short side.

BB might have a higher end one. They usually have them at several price points. I had one from BB in a lighter weight wool and had my tailor nip it in the waist. That tailoring really jazzed it up. But, for that to work it has to fit perfectly in the shoulder.

It looks too short to me, too.

BB does have a couple of nice db blazer models, in addition to a nice camel hair, camel colored, db by Black Fleece. Unfortunately, Black Fleece did not show a navy db blazer for fall/winter. Their spring/summer db linen navy blazer was terrific. Unfortunately, their navy db blazer from the '07 fall/winter season is much too short, which may explain why it's still available, and at 75% off.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the comments about the shortness of the jacket are off base in my opinion. I'd be willing to bet that is a result of the stylist at the shoot forcing a 6'3 model into a 40S rather than the jacket being cut short. Most Polo jackets in "R" are anywhere from 30-30.5" which is pretty standard.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
All the comments about the shortness of the jacket are off base in my opinion. I'd be willing to bet that is a result of the stylist at the shoot forcing a 6'3 model into a 40S rather than the jacket being cut short. Most Polo jackets in "R" are anywhere from 30-30.5" which is pretty standard.

It's not that short in real life. At least on me...

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that blazer - I had the tacky metal buttons replaced with some brown horn ones. The metal ones droop and make a cheap tinkling noise when you move your arm. Awful.

And it is not cut short. It might even be cut a bit on the long side.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ahoy, cap'n!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Ahoy, cap'n!

I can see that years of Gilligan's Island and Caddy Shack have had their toll on you.

- B

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this situation absolutely requires a really stupid and futile gesture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads