• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wings GT vs. Alden Indy (with pics)

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
amlai, the tanning on those cordo indys is amazing. I wish I had those, as well as a job that would let them tan like that (and pay enough for me to afford them...)

Yardsale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I love the GTs...black on left center, cherry on right center.

285351782_BNvfs-X2.jpg

- B

what are the chelseas on the far right? they look great!

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks to be RM Williams Comfort Craftsman. Very comfy boots.

amlai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
amlai, the tanning on those cordo indys is amazing. I wish I had those, as well as a job that would let them tan like that (and pay enough for me to afford them...)
Thanks! I'm an office chair jockey, but I wear the boots as much as I can... and then I cheated a bit... I left them on my windowsill for a month or so. They had already started to change color before I started doing that, but leaving them on the windowsill made it more pronounced. Now I'm back to just wearing them like I was before.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amlai
zippyh... you seem to be the only other person I've run across with an equal obsession with the Indy boot... maybe you're actually more obsessed. I've posted most of these pictures in various threads around here, but here they are again:

LeatherSoul Cigar shell cordovan Indy:
img1101sizedhv6.jpg

Those are all awesome but I am sooo jealous of those Cigar shell ones.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cigar shell Indy is a great looking boot too.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Ugh....want Indys bad....was all ready to get a pair of the Jcrew Redwings, then realized that for not much more I could get Indys....back burner for the moment, but its the season for boots....

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
Ugh....want Indys bad....was all ready to get a pair of the Jcrew Redwings, then realized that for not much more I could get Indys....back burner for the moment, but its the season for boots....

Save up and then buy things that you truly want, you'll save money on the long term...

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
With my current interest in jeans I wanted some boots to complement them. I have a pair of IH 634S coming from Kiya at SelfEdge. Lots of previous thread about these two boots but not a lot of pictures, so I thought I'd do some comparison myself.

Indy is the generic version with the tan color calf leather and Neoprene sole. Retail was $320+tax at SF Alden store. GT was from Zappos at $239 total with free shipping.

I take a 9D in most dress shoes. Indy was a 8EE and GT was a 8.5D.

top view showing color differences. GT appears more sleek, but it may be because the Indy is a EE width.

Toe box on GT more roomy

Tongue on GT is continuous with the rest of shoe, Indy is not

Neoprene sole on Indy vs. commando-ish sole on GT. I like GT sole better.

Insole shot

This is showing that Alden has an "attention to detail" advantage over the GT. I tried to show the ends of the welt where they stop at around the forepart of the heel. On the Indy it's a nice smooth transition whereas on the GT they are rough and roughly done. Other little details can be seen also elsewhere.

Conclusion: I like both. They both serve the function I'm looking for, namely, foul weather-capable footwear that's stylish and well-built. Also both made in USA so that's a plus. In retrospect if I can only pick one pair, I'd go with the GT at $100 saving. My wife also likes the GT better, especially the black cherry color.

lee_44106, thank you for taking the time to do this. Great job!

Haruspex

Reaction score
But there wasn't many responses. Does anyone have options they would suggest for belts that work well with the Indy Boot?

Sherminator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yardsale
what are the chelseas on the far right? they look great!
I'm more interested in the ones far left...any clue on what they are? Also are the quality in Redwings generalized across all models or jsut the more expensive ones. -First time poster, long time watcher...starving college student

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherminator
I'm more interested in the ones far left...any clue on what they are?

Those look like Frye Brando laceups.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
lee_44106, thank you for taking the time to do this. Great job!

No problem.

It really would be helpful for everybody on the forum if we could all just take a little time and post some pictures. A picture really is much better and informative than 1000 words.

The other thread about GT boots had 16 pages and about 2 pictures, that's why I decided to do this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads