• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Different strokes for different...

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, wearing clothes has become more truly democratic and one viewpoint no longer prevails. Now, other life styles or sub cultures have grown self-sufficient enough to branch out from the trunk of style. Some of the branches are small and represent but slight deviations, modifications or improvements from the main trunk. Other branches are almost large enough to constitute a trunk in their own right. Ultimately, whichever branch of the style tree you find yourself perched on, there still remains a divide between the tasteful and the tasteless way to execute the look. In order to understand the differences between tasteful and sans gout choices one must consult the oracle of the style gods. Modesty naturally precludes one from offering any candidates. However for the sake of bringing order to the articles which appear here, terms for four major branches of style will be employed and one coverall category of what is never stylish. They are: Fogey, Old-Boy, Old-Boy-Hip, Hip and Slick... ...If you run an IT company (or would like to look like you do), you might need to dress differently than if you run a Brick and Mortar or Main Street company. Ask yourself, what are you selling? Considered once to be a vulgar thought, there is no room for that outdated philosophy gleaned in books or from our grandparents. Because in these times we have limited time and unlimited information to sort through, your clothes had better help you make your intended statement. Therefore, do ask yourself what message you are trying to convey and what image you are trying to maintain or conjure. Do you need to tell people you are rock solid, likeable, cutting edge? These factors are considerations. Are you an entertainer or do you just minister to the Stars? If you are a sports agent, do you wear what your clients wear or something that will register trust and empathy within your client base? Excerpts from: http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...lothes-for-men

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you overestimate the singficance of diversified clothing norms. There is no doubt that people in different social and professional contexts face different expectations, but that doesn't say anything about whether those expectations should be be pursued. This distinction is particularly worth considering since many of today's norms are ill-informed or just plain ugly.

Personally, I've decided not to be too concerned with the minutiae of contemporary niche expectations. Aside from the matter of aesthetics, I just can't be bothered to take note of all the little trends that prevail at the office. Moreover, when I do notice, I'm not willing to spend the money and time required to keep up. Anyway, it seems to me that if you are concerned with being stylish, you can't fear looking different from the people around you.

So I guess I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you simply saying that people should dress appropriately? If so, I guess I generally agree. But there's not much content in such a suggestion, is there? To me, the diversification of norms merely demonstrates that many, many things are appropriate these days.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you overestimate our ability to ignore your spamming for your own forum

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads