• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Shoes

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
If they fit you, you did well for ten dollars. Those are older Church's, quite well made, and they seem to still have their original heels.
I agree. Except that they're not fully leather lined. The fabric lining is, frankly, indicative of not very good quality.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that the pre-prada church's had the fabric lining? But I can't find much info about their pre-prada offerings.

Thanks for the help!

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vashin
I think I read somewhere that the pre-prada church's had the fabric lining?
Take a look at my pre-Prada penny loafers above (post #35).

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had church's cordovan bluchers which were at least 20 years old and they were fully leather lined. Also right now I have a pair of Brooks English which I believe are Church's, and they are also fully leather lined.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know much (read anything) about shoes and was wondering if anyone could give me more info on these shoes...

I picked these up for $10 at a local thrift store. If anyone could give me more info and general care tips it would be much appreciated.

Only that it does not say 'Milan' inside - so they are pre-Prada.

misterjase

Reaction score
Is it just me or is the 'London, New York, Paris, Milan' a bit stupid to everyone else given the shoes are everywhere now.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that the pre-prada church's had the fabric lining? But I can't find much info about their pre-prada offerings.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, they did. I have three or four pairs of Church's Consuls (custom grades) that were pre-Prada, that had the linen lining. I'm not sure why the linen lining gets such bad press here, I've always found it to wick moisture much better than leather.

Salsalocust

Reaction score
I love returning to this thread from time to time to see how the 'bashing' has 'moved on
devil.gif

and when I get the oppotunity, continue to post IMHO fine examples of Church's work
smile.gif

Church "Sheldon" Cape Butts (dark brown) suede on the 130 last and yes - part linen/part leather lined.... the horror, the horror
laugh.gif

IMG_1560.jpg
[/IMG]

Regards,

Graham

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find the whole "Church's has gone to hell once Prada bought them" mentality amusing.

I picture the conspiracy theories unfolding along these lines:

A group of Italians step off the train in all their slick haired, skinny-legged black suited glory. They carry with them "the orders" including that most despised of orders designed to execute their grand plan of alienating 99% of the core consumers of the brand by switching to corrected grain skins imported from India. Why would they do this? Of course, the $25 per shoe they save in materials costs will most certainly offset the revenue loss from chasing away the core audience for the shoe, and best of all, demonstrate the triumph of the Italian aesthetic over the stuffy English shoe business. Muuahhahahaa, we win English pig dogs!!!

Silly, silly stuff. Same people would never drive a Jaguar after Ford purchased the company, or wear an Omega since it was owned by, gasp, Swatch!!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The current collection has lots of classic designs (like "˜Grafton' or "˜Burwood') made up in high-shine leathers in all colours of the rainbow.
The London stores are heavily stocked with them. I wonder, how they will sell.

Churchs1.jpg

To me, they look like boiled sweets.

Originally Posted by Salsalocust
Church "Sheldon" Cape Butts (dark brown) suede on the 130 last

Are you sure that they are "˜Cape buck' (an African antelope) and marked as such? (They were always marked it as 'Genuine Cape Buck'.)
Cape buck, with it's very short nap, used to be the crowning glory of the Church's collection.

But they haven't used it in years, using instead ordinary suede from calf or goat.

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe

Are you sure that they are "˜Cape buck' (an African antelope) and marked as such? (They were always marked it as 'Genuine Cape Buck'.)
Cape buck, with it's very short nap, used to be the crowning glory of the Church's collection.

But they haven't used it in years, using instead ordinary suede from calf or goat.

Hi,

The ticket on the box says :

Material: Cape Butts

Indeed it is a very short nap - but there is nothing to suggest it is anything other than calf suede.

Regards,

Graham

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
The current collection has lots of classic designs (like ‘Grafton’ or ‘Burwood’) made up in high-shine leathers in all colours of the rainbow. The London stores are heavily stocked with them. I wonder, how they will sell.
Churchs1.jpg
To me, they look like boiled sweets.

The shoes at the far left and upper right, in particular, look garish, and remind me of those CG shoes from the '70s that looked to have been spray painted.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I hear "Prada" I'm reminded of quality and workmanship
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads