• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

kit99bar

Reaction score
Would black Kiwi oil cause the light brown sole area to be colored black? Do we need to take that into account when oiling them up. I'm getting a few scuffs and want to oil them to protect them.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it will color the sole area, but may be a different shade of black than the uppers.

korce

Reaction score
Just got a pair of these from Getoutside - managed to convince them to give me 15% off the higher retail price, which is still pretty good given how the Can. dollar is now
frown.gif

I got a sz. 9 in the end, for reference I wear a 10 in Clarks desert boots and 10.5 in sneakers (Nike, etc.) They're a bit snug right now in the width and tip of my smaller toes on one foot. Do you think they'll stretch out to the point where this won't be an issue? I tried the 9.5 too, but they felt too big in the heel area...

lalolanda

Reaction score
just bought these on dark cherry some weeks ago, but i am kind of new with boots that actually require some care. how do you polish them without altering the contrasting stitching? i got some shoe cream polisn named tana on burgundy. would that be okay for these boots?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
Just got a pair of these from Getoutside - managed to convince them to give me 15% off the higher retail price, which is still pretty good given how the Can. dollar is now
frown.gif

I got a sz. 9 in the end, for reference I wear a 10 in Clarks desert boots and 10.5 in sneakers (Nike, etc.) They're a bit snug right now in the width and tip of my smaller toes on one foot. Do you think they'll stretch out to the point where this won't be an issue? I tried the 9.5 too, but they felt too big in the heel area...

Actually you got 5% off since they have a 10% off in-store policy for all customers. But at least you only paid about $80 over what you could have got for them elsewhere. Could have been worse...

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Actually you got 5% off since they have a 10% off in-store policy for all customers. But at least you only paid about $80 over what you could have got for them elsewhere. Could have been worse...

Thanks man.

Yes, I know that they're $209US at Baker's shoes.com

Guess what. I live in Canada. That translates to over $250 Canadian without any tax or duty, etc. $277 including tax at a local store where I can go and try the boots on and have them instantly, and not worry about duty? I think I'll choose that.

Thanks for answering my question...

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attention Canadians:

See the size 10 Black Cherry Gentleman Travelers in my signature? I wore them once, and I'll let them go to you for $200 USD shipped. PM me for details!

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Just picked these up yesterday, i fell in love the first time i slipped my feet into them
inlove.gif

Pickups11-04-08003.jpg

Pickups11-04-08004.jpg

Pickups11-04-08005.jpg

Pickups11-04-08006.jpg

Love the waxed cotton laces and the natural tan leather inlay
smile.gif

Should i hit these guys with Obenauf's LP before i wear them?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those black GT's. Looks sweet.

I treated my black cherry GT's to a good measure of Sno-Seal. Obernauf I also hear good things about.

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce

I think these things are just too darn narrow for me. I think I'm gonna have to take em back for a refund. The 9.5 might work, but the heel was really loose from what I remember, so I guess it's no GTs for me
frown.gif

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think alot of problems with the sizing is the really the result of one's width and also the wearer's preference. Adding to those problems is the confusion amongst most people that boots should fit like dress shoes or sneakers.

The general Red Wing recommendation to downsize 1/2 a size is based on the assumption that one's feet is normal width, i.e. a D width. Where one is below a D width, they might consider downsizing a full size or even better, look for another brand. E or EE size width should most probably not downsize at all.

Fact is most work boots and the GT is no different usually is made to be slightly larger and it is very normal for the heel to slip just a little until they are fully broken in. I went to a Red Wing store and they had me on a brannock scale. Boy did I get an education!

Amongst the measurements taken, include the length from the back of the heel to the ball of your feet. This length is probably the best gauge of whether a boot fits or not, i.e the widest part of the boot should correspond to the widest part of the foot (where the ball of the feet is). If it does fit, then the amount of extra toe space in the front is not a major issue. If it does not match, you will be better off with another pair, perhaps an iron ranger in an EE width. Unfortunately, Red Wings and in particular the GTs are not really made for everyone.

604guy

Reaction score
Just for reference, I got my size 9 black GT's the other day.

I wear a 9 in converse, and 9 in clarks. 9.5-10 in nikes.

I found the fit pretty decent, but some heel slip if I dont tie them up really tight and wear thinner socks. I did put a insole inside, resulting in this fit. Not sure if I could have gone with an 8.5, but I think I will stick with this size, especially what the above poster said about heel slippage until they are fully broken in.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember, you guys should be sizing down from your Dress Shoe size, not some sneaker size. Get measured on the Brannock if you don't know your dress shoe size. There is no other universal reference.

I wear 10.5 in all Nikes, 11 and even 11.5 in some adidas. I got a 9 in GTs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads