• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beyond the Blazer: Second most versatile sport-coat?

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really diggin this:

1B.jpg

There's a few on eBay atm.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Lots of blue/white shirts in various shades and stripes, but I also have brown bengal stripe and pink bengal stripe shirts. Lots of different shades of gray, and blue pants, but i also have brown and black pants. I don't wear cotton pants much because they wrinkle big-time. I saw a really nice sportcoat today, kind of a greyish-brown herringbone with a tan overcheck. I think it might make a nice 2 season jacket, but I'm wondering if I have enough stuff to go with it.
Just saw this answer when looking for the other thread. If you do not wear cotton pants, I would look for more refined sportcoat fabrics. Doormat tweeds look wrong with the common lightweight wool dress pants. Loud country patterns also need beefier country pants to make sense for me. If you are wearing a navy blazer often and you like the look enough to want to wear it many days a week, then I would suggest another navy sportcoat -- something that looks dark blue at a distance but adds interest or texture with some kind of pattern or weave at arm's distance. Maybe a medium-dark blue/gray base with navy or brown checks/windowpane/stripes? This would be versatile, since it would work with most everything the blazer works with, and it would keep your style focussed in a way you currently like. Something like a camel/dark brown houndstooth is versatile in theory but more of a risk for someone who wants to be very prudent while building on a blazer look that already works for him. My suggestion is not to go for broke trying a whole new kind of sportcoats, but to expand what's working by looking for something that's closer to the blazer you love.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Something like a camel/dark brown houndstooth is versatile in theory but more of a risk for someone who wants to be very prudent while building on a blazer look that already works for him. My suggestion is not to go for broke trying a whole new kind of sportcoats, but to expand what's working by looking for something that's closer to the blazer you love.
This is actually very interesting. Of course it leaves open the question whether a bold jacket that enhamces its owner and is worn to pieces isnt sometimes preferable as well.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
That was I believe a lambswool made up specially by Mimmo Spano a couple of seasons ago. Harrisons offers a very similar fabric in their Moonbeam book which is lambswool and angora.

There's a Moonbeam in that?

Hmmmm...good tip. I was fixated on windowpanes when I looked at that book last, and I don't recall seeing this.

- B

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't think one should be concerned about "versatility" in a sport coat. Even in as mild a climate as where I live, no sport coat is going to be very good for year-round wear. Better to concentrate on a well-chosen wardrobe of jackets in varying fabric weights and appropriate seasonal styles.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Frankly, I don't think one should be concerned about "versatility" in a sport coat. Even in as mild a climate as where I live, no sport coat is going to be very good for year-round wear. Better to concentrate on a well-chosen wardrobe of jackets in varying fabric weights and appropriate seasonal styles.

I agree on seasonality, but one can still select a seasonal coat that it versatile in terms of color and pattern, and what it can be worn with. I have coats like that for all seasons, in addition to rather louder ones that may be more fun, but are not so versatile. Versatillity is, in particular, nice for travelling.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, in my humble opinion, I went from a blue blazer, to a flannel cashmere blue blazer, then a DB version, then a worsted DB, then a fresco DB version.
In all I have 5 versions of a blue blazer, of course the worsted sb 2 button with DV, is the most worn.
After this, I have a brown, grey, and blue plaid in a light cashmere as my go to non navy.
I also have a tan and dark brown houndstooth cashmere/silk Kiton as another often worn jacket.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
There's a Moonbeam in that? Hmmmm...good tip. I was fixated on windowpanes when I looked at that book last, and I don't recall seeing this. - B
My Dear Vox, I have a copy of the swatch set for Moonbeam and it looks like it might be slightly smaller in scale but still carry the spirit of the pattern. Call# 36519. I think Harrisons wouldn't mind sending you a swatch. Its more than reasonably priced as well.
img0026ej4.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
My Dear Vox,

I have a copy of the swatch set for Moonbeam and it looks like it might be slightly smaller in scale but still carry the spirit of the pattern. Call# 36519. I think Harrisons wouldn't mind sending you a swatch. Its more than reasonably priced as well.

Thank you.

- B

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
This makes sense if you have the budget to buy lots of sport coats, or you already have lots. Neither applies to me at the moment. Currently I only own 1 sport coat, so I want to make my second one a versatile one because I want to get lots of mileage out of it.

82-Greg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Herringbone tweed. Brown looks good on me, but other colors will suffice. This may not be the most versatile as it is really two season, but it should be a wardrobe staple.

+1

YMMV on coloring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads