• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Experiment

rubin749

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Edward Green for Paul Stuart black captoes at a thrift store this week. They were covered in cracks, one of which went all the way through the leather.

After some conditioning and polishing (with blue polish, as you can kind of see in the picture) they looked like this:

IMG_2774.jpg

They didn't look good, so I decided to change the color entirely. I used rubbing alcohol and some solvent I found in my house to remove polish etc, then household bleach to remove the dye. After that I applied leather conditioner and then almost a full can of Meltonian olive green shoe cream. Now they look like this:

PB010177.jpg

PB010175.jpg

I think the beaten up look of the shoe goes well with the color, and I now plan to wear them.

I would like to deepen the green color a little bit though. I only used the Meltonian cream because that was all they had at my local shoe repair shop in the color I wanted. What should I look for? I'm sure polish will stain better than cream, but I'm having trouble finding it in this color.

Also, I'm fine with the crack aesthetically, but I'm concerned that it will get bigger when I wear the shoes.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
could you put a patch inside the shoe behind the hole so that it doesn't rip further?

PS - I prefer the idea of #2 coloring. i think the antique look works better with browns and reds but also with blues and greens like this. If they had been brown originally, I'd have thrown some oxblood in there. With black, I think something like green works better, becuase with blue it could look like you accidently used the wrong polish.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rubin749
I bought a pair of Edward Green for Paul Stuart black captoes at a thrift store this week. They were covered in cracks, one of which went all the way through the leather. After some conditioning and polishing (with blue polish, as you can kind of see in the picture) they looked like this: They didn't look good, so I decided to change the color entirely. I used rubbing alcohol and some solvent I found in my house to remove polish etc, then household bleach to remove the dye. After that I applied leather conditioner and then almost a full can of Meltonian olive green shoe cream. Now they look like this: I think the beaten up look of the shoe goes well with the color, and I now plan to wear them. I would like to deepen the green color a little bit though. I only used the Meltonian cream because that was all they had at my local shoe repair shop in the color I wanted. What should I look for? I'm sure polish will stain better than cream, but I'm having trouble finding it in this color. Also, I'm fine with the crack aesthetically, but I'm concerned that it will get bigger when I wear the shoes.
Look for Saphir recolour products. MIND YOU, you need to polish and condition these quite a lot more. they are still MUCH to dry...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads