• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Also, use Apple Lossless on the iPod for best sound quality with smaller files.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I would get an iPod and an AudioEngine 5 powered speaker set.

www.audioengineusa.com

or use your computer plus the $600 Focal desktop system.

Very cool.
worship.gif
Thank you!

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Vandersteen C1 C 2 speakers aside from :"They are ugly"?

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I've never heard them. I have heard next model up (2ce) in a few different rooms, and they've always had nice, smooth, bass. The mids and highs have always sounded kind of blurry and indistinct.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It also depends a lot on your listening environment. If your ipod is driving those little ear-buds and you're listening at the gym, on a run, or while out and about, I doubt you'll notice much difference between MP3/AAC and any lossless encoding. Under such constraints the extra storage space for more songs by going with MP3/AAC is worth the trade-off IMO.

Here's a good test. Take a selection of songs and encode them with both MP3/AAC and a lossless codec. Put 'em on your ipod and select random playback. If you can't tell the difference, enjoy the extra space for more songs with MP3/AAC.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
It also depends a lot on your listening environment. If your ipod is driving those little ear-buds and you're listening at the gym, on a run, or while out and about, I doubt you'll notice much difference between MP3/AAC and any lossless encoding. Under such constraints the extra storage space for more songs by going with MP3/AAC is worth the trade-off IMO.

Here's a good test. Take a selection of songs and encode them with both MP3/AAC and a lossless codec. Put 'em on your ipod and select random playback. If you can't tell the difference, enjoy the extra space for more songs with MP3/AAC.

I find a big difference on acoustic works between AAC and MP3. AAC is much better. Lossless is much better than AAC. YMMV.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
I've never heard them. I have heard next model up (2ce) in a few different rooms, and they've always had nice, smooth, bass. The mids and highs have always sounded kind of blurry and indistinct.

Thanks .
What is your opinion of Harbeth monitors. Theya re talked up a lot on forums but I have never heard one and have a hard time locating a dealer.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Thanks .
What is your opinion of Harbeth monitors. Theya re talked up a lot on forums but I have never heard one and have a hard time locating a dealer.

Harbeth's have a wonderful midrange so I like them quit a bit.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harbeth's have a wonderful midrange so I like them quit a bit.

I don't understand this: Are they capable of only prducing midrange do they have weak or faulty treble? Do they have any bass? What is the deal with Harbeth?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I don't understand this: Are they capable of only prducing midrange do they have weak or faulty treble? Do they have any bass? What is the deal with Harbeth?

No, they do it all well based on my listening (except for the smaller speakers in the bass of course)...its just that the midrange can be reference level.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Thanks .

If you're interested in hearing what's actually on the disk or file, they are not for you. By design, they impose their own tipped-down spectral balance on every chord that passes through them. As polite as a king's butler.

That said, not everyone's into accuracy, so they might be worth an audition. They do what they do pretty well. I find the ones I've heard to sound boomy even in big rooms, but not in a nauseating way like Wilsons. Somewhat pleasant, even, in that they make things sound bigger than they were intended to sound.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're interested in hearing what's actually on the disk or file, they are not for you. By design, they impose their own tipped-down spectral balance on every chord that passes through them. As polite as a king's butler.

That said, not everyone's into accuracy, so they might be worth an audition. They do what they do pretty well. I find the ones I've heard to sound boomy even in big rooms, but not in a nauseating way like Wilsons. Somewhat pleasant, even, in that they make things sound bigger than they were intended to sound.

That is what I am looking for. If you say boomy and polite they are not for me. Saves me a lot of time and frustration.
Thanks again.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

You have no ******* clue what you are talking about. Wilson Audio makes some of the best speakers on the planet.
teacha.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wilson Audio makes some of the best speakers on the planet.
teacha.gif

I agree with that /\\ , also Buggati makes one of the best cars on the planet , so what?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads