• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Originally Posted by GQgeek
My MMORPG fantasies involve female wood-elves, thank you very much.
self-pwn

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That's my character. You sick freak!
self-pwn squared.

Oh, the humanity . . . if it can be called humanity.
eh.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just bought a root canal!
But I only received half of it. The other half is going to be installed in a couple weeks.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Well, I kinda sorta (really) wanted a Gransfors Bruks, but didn't want to drop the $$$ on a seasonal-use item that will probably rust anyway. If it splits oak efficiently then I'm a happy man.

Gransfors Bruks to Axes is what Absolute vodka is to liquor.
Both are inferior to Finish products (Fiskars & Finlandia Vodka), but superior in advertisment and packaging.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Lens interchangeability is one of the reasons that pushed me over the edge. Nikon is great in this respect. Plus, the FE can use practically every single lens Nikon has ever produced (with very few exceptions). BTW, I got the camera today. It's in pristine condition. I can't find a single issue with it, except that the seller didn't include a strap. Now, I have to hunt for a thin leather strap on fleabay.
Yah, the FE has a wider list of useable lenses than the newer cameras, regardless of metering modes and such -- a few of my TCs and such don't work on the 200. And there is so much out there to choose from!
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Some of the manual focus Nikkors are a fantastic bargain. You'll want to get at least mostly AI lenses, but they should be easy to find and cheap. The pre-AI lenses will be cheaper, but to use them you'll have to flip up the aperture ring link tab and use stop-down metering. I used to do this with my FM and it never bothered me a bit. A couple of lenses you might consider are the 105mm f2.5, which is legendary as a portrait lens, and the 80-200 f4.5 one-touch zoom. Prices for these, at least in Tokyo, are under $100!
I seriously should go to Tokyo. Those are excellent prices, or perhaps its just that I like really weird stuff. Some of my AI/AI-S glass: 200-600mm f/9.5 superzoom 58mm f1.4 Nocturnal 105mm f2.5 105mm Micro Nikkor 85mm f/2 28mm f/2 16mm full frame fisheye In AI, I'm looking for : 35mm f/2 180mm f/2.8 300mm f/4 80-200 f/2,8 Since I love naturally-lighted lowlight work, I dream of: 35mm f/1.4 28mm f/1.4 15mm f/3.5 rectilinear All the same, my next purchase will probably be the 20-35mm f.2.8 AF Zoom. ~h

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Huntsman,

That's an outstanding collection! However, I believe you mean the 58mm f1.2 Noct-Nikkor. I have actually seen very few of those and they are very expensive, but the 55mm f1.2 Nikkor is dirt cheap. I was once advised to "avoid it like the plague."

If I were building a kit of Nikkor primes, I would consider the following 3 absolutely essential:

35mm f2 (probably better edge-to-edge sharpness than the f1.4)
50mm f1.4
105mm f2.5 (not enough praise for this lens)

Excellent lenses outside these focal lengths:

Any of the rectilinear super wides: 15, 18, 20
Any of the wides: 24, 28
Teles: 180 f2.8 ED, 300

Zooms: 80-200 f4.5 one-touch, 100-300.

For the FE, I wouldn't get any non-AI lenses even though they can be used with stop-down metering. Many lenses were improved optically or mechanically or both in the newer AI versions.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I wanted to get a Gransfors for a while though it probably would see limited use also. I may go whole hog and order a Lee Reeves axe like the one below.
15d5f8120.jpg

That is far too pretty to see use in my house.

Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Gransfors Bruks to Axes is what Absolute vodka is to liquor.
Both are inferior to Finish products (Fiskars & Finlandia Vodka), but superior in advertisment and packaging.

Now that I've used my axe I am profoundly happy with it, price be damned (although I am also happy about that). Anything under 12 inches across takes one good stroke to split. In 30 minutes' time my log rack got half-full. I still have a lot of wood to split, though, so I may yet have to build another log rack (bummer)

However, I have some bigger logs 15"-20" where the initial split is proving troublesome.

Funny enough I also prefer Finlandia.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the wife . . . and seriously killing my clothing budget for a while. LOL

IMG00036.jpg

IMG00044.jpg

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Surprise?

Nice.

Thanks! It was sort of a surprise (mostly timing) but for something like this I had to run it by her in advance to make sure it was exactly what she wanted.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Huntsman, That's an outstanding collection! However, I believe you mean the 58mm f1.2 Noct-Nikkor. I have actually seen very few of those and they are very expensive, but the 55mm f1.2 Nikkor is dirt cheap. I was once advised to "avoid it like the plague." If I were building a kit of Nikkor primes, I would consider the following 3 absolutely essential: 35mm f2 (probably better edge-to-edge sharpness than the f1.4) 50mm f1.4 105mm f2.5 (not enough praise for this lens) Excellent lenses outside these focal lengths: Any of the rectilinear super wides: 15, 18, 20 Any of the wides: 24, 28 Teles: 180 f2.8 ED, 300 Zooms: 80-200 f4.5 one-touch, 100-300. For the FE, I wouldn't get any non-AI lenses even though they can be used with stop-down metering. Many lenses were improved optically or mechanically or both in the newer AI versions.
Thank you! Yes, I do mean the Noct-Nikkor -- I call it the Nocturnal when referring to it colloquially. It is my absolute favorite lens, the last I would ever sell if I had to. Fortunately, I inherited it from my father, who has excellent taste., so I didn't need to suffer the wallet pain. Interesting that there is a lot of similarity in our lists! Good glass is good glass. Unfortunately, considering its price, the 55mm f/1.2 is not good at all. I actually bought one on eBay and did some work with it on my D200, as I wanted a pseudo-Noct I could use and not worry about quite so much -- it was a mistake. In comparison shots wide open it was not at all sharp, and actually exhibited 'ghosting' of details. I flipped it within the week; lost $50 on that fiasco. Should have gone with the 50mm f/1.4 ~ H

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Thanks! It was sort of a surprise (mostly timing) but for something like this I had to run it by her in advance to make sure it was exactly what she wanted.

Geez nice gift. I would think that anyone who has enough money laying around to just go buy a $60,000 car as a gift would have plenty of money to blow on clothes or whatever else he or she desired.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
For the wife . . . and seriously killing my clothing budget for a while. LOL

IMG00036.jpg

IMG00044.jpg

For your wife? What the hell are you driving?
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads