• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat-front vs. single pleats vs. double pleats on dress pants?

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brn2drive
I prefer to wear non-pleated pants for both suit pants and regular dress pants. I don't mind the one pleat because it adds a nice shape to the pants but pleats are just not for me.

I think they're outdated but then again it depends on who you are, I'm in my mid 20's and feel out of style with 2-pleat pants.

Pleats, A.F.A.I. have read, allowed the pant to expand when men wore their pants at their natural waists. Since most of us young-ones wear our pants on our hips, this functionality is negated.

:. if you wear your pants at your waist and are not Don Draper, pleats might help. But if you wear them at your hips, they're kind of a waste (ha!) no?

Interface

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BdeRWest
But if you wear them at your hips, they're kind of a waste (ha!) no?
Not if the wearer thinks they look good.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Like Ceaton, I prefer double forward pleats. Before bespoke was an option to me, these were nonexistant; so, coming from a RTW standpoint, take whatever they give you
wink.gif
. I had about 75:25 pleats to flat-fronts from the RTW world. Odd trousers were more preferred in FF and suits in pleats, bu tthis was not a hard-fast rule.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Don't forget the pleats on the back of the pant legs

My dream pants would consist of single back pleats and plain fronts

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was a flat front jeans type lover, but yesterday I tried one of my unused suit trousers. A Sartoria Partenopea single pleated reverse ? ?trouser that fits me far better as I am a super slim and tall guy, kinda stick so pleated trousers do fill me better. +1 to single pleated trousers ( haven't tried double pleated) Can I alter my flat front ones to single pleated? Those got extra material inside. But not sure. Do single pleated reverse ones do exist? Mines seem to have just a single reverse pleat that did a " squared box " around the zip. Where like this Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mac

Reaction score
Loves a thread resurrection!

I have flat-fronted and pleated trousers. The problem with my flat front trousers are the legs are so slim, and is often uncomfortable. I like a fuller flat fronted leg–if that makes sense.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Do single pleated reverse ones do exist? Mines seem to have just a single reverse pleat that did a " squared box " around the zip.

Where like this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm not a fan of reverse pleats, but I prefer traditional forward pleats, which every year get harder to find as companies switch over to the more common reverse pleats. But since you are looking for trousers to fill you out, reverse pleats do a better job at that. Forward pleats provide extra room and give but without the baggy look of reverse pleats.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm not a fan of reverse pleats, but I prefer traditional forward pleats, which every year get harder to find as companies switch over to the more common reverse pleats. But since you are looking for trousers to fill you out, reverse pleats do a better job at that. Forward pleats provide extra room and give but without the baggy look of reverse pleats.

Perhaps I am translating badly.

As you seem more expert, could you please put pictures of reverse pleated and single pleated etc?

Thank you

soxpats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Interface
Why do some of you say that pleated pants on thin men look bad? I must disagree with you. I can give several famous examples of thin men in pleated pants, and for my part I think they look good.

Here are my examples. Actually I only remember two at the moment. Hopefully you recognize some of them:
  1. Michael Douglas in Wall Street movie wears pleated pants. Did he look bad?
  2. Cedric Daniels in the Wire episodes (extremely thin guy) wears pleated pants. He looks cool in my opinion.

Now, just to make it clear before you start flaming me, I'm not trying to be like any of these guys. I just genuinely find pleated pants to look and feel better on me (I'm thin).

Finally, looking at the below picture (taken from Brooks Brothers website), do you really find this ugly? I think this looks good!

117J_enlarged.jpg

While we're at it, we could also go on to discuss cuffs vs. no cuffs at the bottom. Feel free to discuss that as well. For my part I have started to like cuffs as well. So my vote at the moment goes for: Double pleats + cuffs.

I agree with you.
worship.gif

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Perhaps I am translating badly.

As you seem more expert, could you please put pictures of reverse pleated and single pleated etc?

Thank you

Single pleat means there is one pleat on each side, double pleat means two pleats on each side.

Forward and reverse are the directions the pleat opens. Forward opens inwards, reverse opens outward. Reverse pleats are more common these days and are what the Italians prefer. Forward pleats are preferred by the English. They used to be about equally split in America though in the past 20 years the majority of brands switched over to reverse pleats. Ralph Lauren is the biggest name that still sells forward pleats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads