• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniqlo > Rugby > J.Crew > H&M > BR > A&F > Gap ...

surrender

Reaction score
There's also Forever 21 - they have some decent looking stuff, but the sizes are incredibly inconsistent and the quality is sub-H&M.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Club Monaco def needs to be above BR etc

someone with a good eye and a good tailor could dress exclusively from CM and look pretty good

everybodynobody

Reaction score
Sorry if this is getting off topic, but what do people on this forum mean when they talk about "mall brands?" I've never seen a Target inside a mall and Old Navys are usually standalone stores or located in strip centers too.

Would stuff like Levi's and Converse Chuck Taylors be considered mall brands because stores in malls sell them? Or are "mall brands" only labels that are exclusive to a particular store like GAP, J Crew, BR, etc.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Inspired by the Target > Gap thread, I've decided to rank the mall stores from best to worst.
J.Crew
Rugby
Club Monaco
Uniqlo
H&M
BR
Gap
Target
Express
Old Navy
American Eagle
Aeropostale
A&F

Did I leave any major stores out? Is the order wrong? Discuss ...

fixed that for you

ashenwreck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by everybodynobody
Sorry if this is getting off topic, but what do people on this forum mean when they talk about "mall brands?" I've never seen a Target inside a mall and Old Navys are usually standalone stores or located in strip centers too.

Would stuff like Levi's and Converse Chuck Taylors be considered mall brands because stores in malls sell them? Or are "mall brands" only labels that are exclusive to a particular store like GAP, J Crew, BR, etc.

Don't take the "mall" part too literally. It's just chain clothing stores. And it only applies to in-house items.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashenwreck
Don't take the "mall" part too literally. It's just chain clothing stores. And it only applies to in-house items.

Strangely, when people here talk about "mall jeans", they usually means brands like 7 and TR sold at department store mall anchors, not in-house A&F/AE/BR/etc. brand jeans.

ashenwreck

Reaction score
That's true. I guess I didn't think of that. So I guess I take back my previous last sentence.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
American Eagle? Christ, I looked at that ************* yesterday. It's a terrible coat.

After having tried on peacoats by ON (complete junk), various generic USN ones at army surplus stores (all crappy fitting except the Alpha), the melton by RL (a joke for the money) and Jcrew's (with its awkwardly tight shoulders and wide body), the "*************" peacoat by AE is better than all of them.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gotta agree with somatoform... i've found that american eagle, and abercrombie especially have very well made clothes, especially the outerwear

the "mall brand" discussion is kind of like the "pop music vs no name indie music" discussion, sure the pop music might be unoriginal and bland sounding, but you need to admit that it is much better produced

in the same vein, the factories that make mall brands probably have great economies of scale and very good machines, even if the designs and details are lacking

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I just went at a bad time, but the only thing I saw in Uniqlo worth buying were the socks.

Rugby would be good if 90% of the designs weren't extremely ugly.

J Crew beats them both.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Rugby would be good if 90% of the designs weren't extremely ugly.

I love rugby's aesthetic, I just wish they'd stop making sweatpants, and modeling them with sport jackets. also the hoodies and tees go into A&F territory. I understand they're trying to wean the A&F kids off that market with this ****, but please, it takes up too much of the store.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
I haven't tried on a lot of A&F, Gap, AE or ON stuff, mainly because there aren't any retail outlets close to where I live (or rather close enough for it to be worthwhile). I'm a total RL whore, not because all their Polo stuff is of great value, but because I've figured out my size and buying from there I know I get decent quality stuff that fits well. The polo.com online store is excellent and buying during sales you get a pretty good bang for your buck. I also figured out my J Crew sizing and while I can't seem to wear their sport coats and outerwear, their sweaters fit me very well. When RL Rugby went online earlier this fall, I also began buying from them (like their outerwear, pants and wool sweaters--awful rugbys, shirts and fleece stuff). I could probably save big bucks if I could expand my options to include some of the mall brands discussed here, it's just hard to begin exploring a new brand and when things look similar I am tempted to take the easy route and go with what I know... even if that means spending twice the money.

I guess I shared my preferences because I am sure there are others out there who do the majority of their shopping online and thus overlook/exclude brands they're unfamiliar with due to the hassle of returns, etc.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
I love rugby's aesthetic, I just wish they'd stop making sweatpants, and modeling them with sport jackets. also the hoodies and tees go into A&F territory. I understand they're trying to wean the A&F kids off that market with this ****, but please, it takes up too much of the store.
I would love it if it were more like a slim-cut Polo instead of a slim-cut caricature of Polo. The WASPy motifs are so exaggerated on a lot of their clothes it's ridiculous. They definitely have some good stuff but most of the line I would not wear.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
How exactly do you put a stylish BR outfit together I'm curious...

Khakis + square loafers + same solid buckle belt + oversize striped dress shirt + parsley colored merino v-neck with flying squirrel-like arms?

GASP! Yeah! That's IT! It's like you've been going into the fitting rooms right alongside me or something. Truly uncanny!

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
After having tried on peacoats by ON (complete junk), various generic USN ones at army surplus stores (all crappy fitting except the Alpha), the melton by RL (a joke for the money) and Jcrew's (with its awkwardly tight shoulders and wide body), the "*************" peacoat by AE is better than all of them.

Sorry, I was a bit intemperate with the AE coat bashing. Just goes to show, to each their own, you know? Maybe I could chalk it up to an age gap. Maybe my impression was that it was not as simple as a man my age should wear. It seemed to have too much going on, whereas I like my clothes to look a little simpler and more traditional.

I'm sorry, but I found the texture and hand of the fabric odd--the lines running diagonal and all that. And the collar seems large. As I recall, the quilted lining wasn't to my liking either. And I'm sorry, but I cannot wear clothing with brands emblazoned on them. I just can't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads