• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniqlo > Rugby > J.Crew > H&M > BR > A&F > Gap ...

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on what pieces you are looking at. I'd take an AE peacoat over any of the other brands anyday, in regards price, fit, material.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
American Eagle? Christ, I looked at that ************* yesterday. It's a terrible coat.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
imo rugby/jcrew/club monaco/br are on a different level than uniqlo, zara, h&m, gap. the price differences are pretty substantial.

I see what you're getting at, but if you start adding tangibles like workmanship, price, what goes on sale, styles carried, etc. as well as intangibles like "Is this worth $40 to me?" I think these stores start spreading out into a spectrum, as opposed to an apple bucket and an orange bucket.

For example, BR definitely has better quality items than H&M. But the designs are staid enough, and the prices high enough, that I inevitably find myself heading to H&M more often, where I don't feel like I'm wasting my time as much. Hence I can honestly put H&M over BR even though they're 2 totally different types of stores.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gets into grey areas, definitely. I'm more inclined to shop at BR and J. Crew where styles are a little more conservative because at my age things at some of the other places feel inappropriate. Staid? Maybe. I prefer to think of it as conservative or safe, which I think is fine, and really has nothing to do with quality. And if it's not exactly fashion forward, does that mean it's not stylish? Isn't style more a matter of how you put it all together?

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
in my experience...

Uniqlo - great pieces and quality for a great price
J.Crew - they're getting better with each season + sale pieces are ridiculously cheap
Target - great for basics (i love hanes)
H&M - good looking pieces, cheap prices, but crap quality
Gap - just for this season...i like their pieces, but i don't know about quality and prices are a bit high.
BR - mostly boring but some of the stuff...but it's expensive
A&F - ugly but good quality...
American Eagle - ditto
Old Navy - it is very cheap.
Express - crap and expensive
Aeropostale - ew

only listed those i have experience with.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would love the Gap if their prices came down overall by about 20 percent. I look at something similar to BR, like the peacoat for example, and always think, well for just a little more at BR I can get something similiar but much better. If the price difference were greater, I'd probably get the Gap version more often, in certain things.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how Uniqlo has 2 retail locations in the United States, is it really fair to call it a "mall store"?

I have an orange t-shirt and a brown grommet belt from AE that I'm pleased with, and the few things I bought from ON I've been displeased with and ended up giving to my dad.

Most stuff in the mall seems overpriced. Express shorts for $60!?! OMGWTFBBQ!

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never seen a uniqulo. Or an H&M for that matter. I have an AE grommet belt now that I'm embarrassed to wear. I bought it when I was going through a rock and roll phase, and now it just seems over the top. See, I told you I'm boring. Boring and staid.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo - The thing about Uniqlo is that it is a great place to shop if you know how to buy things from them. Quality control, in regards to sizing, is all over the place. I can pick up two of the same shirts in the same exact size and they will fit completely different.
J.Crew - Jcrew is ok. Really not impressed with most of the stuff they put out. Maybe if it fit me I'd like it.
H&M - quality is so/so, but sometimes you can get outerwear from H&M that is well made and fits very well.
Gap - except for their slim fit stuff, the fits is way off.
BR - They'll have an okay scarf now and then and their socks are great on sale. Other than that, there is nothing great.
American Eagle - I bought a s/s western shirt a few years ago and I still wear it. Other than that, I can;t say much about the brand.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raginberriodoom
in my experience...

Gap - just for this season...i like their pieces, but i don't know about quality and prices are a bit high.
BR - mostly boring but some of the stuff...but it's expensive

Interesting ... GAP > BR.
Yeah, I can see that. BR's quality is only marginally better than Gap at a big markup.

Brood_Star

Reaction score
im surprised no one mentions esprit for mall ****

maybe it's canadian only but they stock nice basics in slim fit

quality not good but cheap

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't agree at all. I think GAP is just a cut above ON. BR is far better. I don't care if it's supposedly staid. The quality and style are much nicer.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
And if it's not exactly fashion forward, does that mean it's not stylish? Isn't style more a matter of how you put it all together?

How exactly do you put a stylish BR outfit together I'm curious...

Khakis + square loafers + same solid buckle belt + oversize striped dress shirt + parsley colored merino v-neck with flying squirrel-like arms?

Agreed with uniqlo being the best (excludes tim hamilton collab).

V agree with the depression

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Uniqlo and H&M a lot, but this discussion is just depressing.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I like Uniqlo and H&M a lot, but this discussion is just depressing.

Maybe so, but discussing John Lobbs and Kiton suits can get tedious too. Gotta mix SF up every now and then!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics