• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-dinner cocktail

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your go-to pre-dinner cocktail when you are dining out? I usually order a Maker's Manhattan up, because everyone has Maker's Mark and the drink is pretty hard to mess up (although many bartenders forget the bitters). A Manhattan is a bit much on an empty stomach, however, and I'm looking for something a little lighter on the booze.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Actually, mine is a manhattan too, with a Canadian whisky.

goodlife

Reaction score
Gin Martini with Hendricks, Tanq 10, Tanq, or Bombay Saphire (in order of preference).

I like a citrus twist instead of an olive, but often end up with a wedge of fruit instead of just peel. I have not had good results requesting vermouth to coat the glass/shaker with the rest dumped. It always seems like they use too much, so I often do not bother. Same thing with the orange bitters.

I guess I usually end up drinking chilled gin, now that I thinks about it. Too bad it is so hard to get a really well made cocktail.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre-dinner I like to go a little lighter then liquor. I find a nice sparkling white like a Prosecco whets the appetite for both food and conversation.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
My absolute favorite aperitif is the Negroni. Simple and classy.

I also enjoy Lillet Rouge on the rocks.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine's a Manhattan with rye, with Old Protrero if available. Otherwise it's an old fashioned with Maker's Mark. It's tough because both of these drinks are easy to screw up.

A classic aperitif is Campari and soda.

Maybe a dirty martini would be good for your wants?

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Pre-dinner I like to go a little lighter then liquor. I find a nice sparkling white like a Prosecco whets the appetite for both food and conversation.

I agree. martinis are the classic, but something with gin or vodka. I find the heavier liquors (and anything too sweet) kill the taste buds. Whiskeys, bourbons, cognacs, et al are saved for after the meal.

metkirk

Reaction score
Usually a Gin Tonic, sometimes Cosmo.

I don't get why the classic Martini is so popular. 4 part Gin and 1 part Dry Vermouth right? That's like drinking straight Gin for me, can you even taste the vermouth?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
What is your go-to pre-dinner cocktail when you are dining out? I usually order a Maker's Manhattan up, because everyone has Maker's Mark and the drink is pretty hard to mess up (although many bartenders forget the bitters). A Manhattan is a bit much on an empty stomach, however, and I'm looking for something a little lighter on the booze.

I echo the reccomendation of campari and soda or even an americano if you're looking for something with less alcohol in it than a manhattan/martini/negroni.

mbc

Reaction score
I tend to stick to clear liquor if I drink before dinner - usually a vodka martini.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
manhattan, but I agree it can be a bit much before dinner

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
Usually a Gin Tonic, sometimes Cosmo.

I don't get why the classic Martini is so popular. 4 part Gin and 1 part Dry Vermouth right? That's like drinking straight Gin for me, can you even taste the vermouth?

That is the appeal. I do not drink them all the time, but before dinner I really enjoy them. First, I like the flavor of good gin. Also, it is crisp and refreshing without overpowering the taste buds. Further, it makes me hungry.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dry martini, or if I'm looking for something a little less alcoholic, 5:1 water and Pastis.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dopey once told me to order a gin gimlet. That is what I do until somebody else tells me to change.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads