• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bottega Veneta Hong Kong

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I popped into the Bottega Veneta store in the Landmark building in Central Hong Kong a few weeks ago. I was returning from a business appointment and a stop in to pick up a few shirts from Jantzen. I was dressed in business casual wear - slacks, button-up shirt, no tie, but a well-tailored Isaia blazer and pocket square. I was carrying a laptop case over my shoulder and a small Jantzen bag with 4 shirts for my girlfriend in it.

From the minute I walked into the store, I noticed I was being watched like a hawk. I asked to see a wallet and they weren't keen on giving it to me to look at. Finally one of their employees took my Jantzen bag from my hands and said they would look after it for me, though nobody mentioned my laptop case. Only after my Jantzen bag had been taken from me was anyone really willing to let me finger any goods.

It's always fun to be made out as a shoplifter. Assholes.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
It's always fun to be made out as a shoplifter. Assholes.

I am not surprised about that at all. Hong Kong luxury brands really need to give their staff some better training. The have very little product knowledge or totally misuse or misrepresent any available knowledge they have. Perhaps its their poor English skills.

Another thing I hate is where staff are too pushy to sell you something and will tailgate you. They may be trying to help but it really ruins the shopping experience.

Gaz

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Another thing I hate is where staff are too pushy to sell you something and will tailgate you. They may be trying to help but it really ruins the shopping experience.

Gaz

This has been more my experience visiting higher end HK stores, and during my last trip I was dressed for the most part approaching amjack state. But maybe I was being delusional, and they really did just tailgate thinking I was a thief.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mmmm.. I've never had that problem..

I was just there last Sunday!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
mmmm.. I've never had that problem..

I was just there last Sunday!

Well then maybe the answer is that I just need to dress better.
laugh.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by versusqc
maybe it's more about Phat being asian?
confused.gif

I'm half Asian and pass for full all the time.

sf_esq

Reaction score
I hate being followed around the entire time I'm in any store in Hong Kong. It's so annoying. I do however find it somewhat amusing when I walk into any store and six to seven people say "hello" to you. You can walk out, walk back in 30 seconds later, and everyone of those six to seven people will say "hello" again. I love Hong Kong.

wind88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
You know those coal mine owners from mainland are treated exceptionally well at any major HK store. You just need to act like one of them.
bounce2.gif

Also, you should make sure your suit tag is still intact.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Well then maybe the answer is that I just need to dress better.
laugh.gif

Did you smell of fear?
tounge.gif
Did you speak fluently?
There are so many reasons for watching you (so many things for them to hate on) so don't let it bug you.

Like PG, I was treated fairly well there this summer. Was wearing jeans, boots, t shirt. I wasn't wearing/holding a bag iirc.

gazman70k: it isn't their English skills, it's just how it is.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
crappy salespeople is par for the course in HK, surprisingly the best service and treatment you can get imo is in their local chain Giordano- but otherwise its better to just keep to yourself and don't bother socializing unless necessary.

erdavis

Reaction score
I have odd and variable service in Hong Kong. I never take it personally when they think I am some swank shoplifter and want to "hold my bag". I just accept that they see alot of sketchy people (it is China afterall) so that extra concern about the motives of their customers is warranted.

I am prejudice I guess, but it is hard for me to trust quality in China. I either worry its bogus or not the grade it is being represented as.

I pay the diference and often buy in other countries with a better tradition of honesty, EVEN if the goods I am buying are made in China.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads