• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things to do in Dublin

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Dublin in a few weeks to visit a friend, and was wondering if there was anything in particular I should look out for.

I'm especially thinking about good shops and good deals.

Are there some Irish brands or sartorial specialties I should consider?

Will goods from the other British Isles (like shoes from England, knit from Scotland) be cheaper in Ireland than on continental Europe?

Thanks
smile.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am not sure about shopping in Dublin, not exactly a destination for that.

Beautiful city and beautiful country though. Definitely take in the sites, eat well, visit places like Howth if the weather is nice.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go have a pint in McDaids on South Anne Street, then walk two blocks and have another in Kehoes. Don't worry about shopping; there are no bargains to be had.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Drink some of those killer glowing green drinks.

goodlife

Reaction score
Go to Jameson and volunteer at the beginning of the tour. At the end the volunteers get six extra ounces of whiskey.

Bishop of Briggs

Reaction score
Shopping in Dublin is poor for a capital city and very expensive . Just go drinking in Temple Bar and find a nice Catholic girl.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bishop of Briggs
Shopping in Dublin is poor for a capital city and very expensive . Just go drinking in Temple Bar and find a nice Catholic girl.

OK, here we go. Drink, do a girl aaaaannnnnnnd sing in Dublin???

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Less shopping = more room in the suitcase for Bushmills Black Bush
smile.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodlife
Go to Jameson and volunteer at the beginning of the tour. At the end the volunteers get six extra ounces of whiskey.

Yes, absolutely!

Go to the tour and volunteer as soon as they ask for some! Follow with barhopping and a lot of pints, and you are all set. One of the few times I was wasted well before 3PM.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what about linens and sweaters? isn't Ireland a good place to get those?

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
what about linens and sweaters? isn't Ireland a good place to get those?
yeah. they're good for that, though you'd probably get a better selection in more traditional spots on the Aran Islands, or in Galway. ----------------------------------------------------- Check out the Irish Design Centre at 59 s. william st. for a lineup of what modern irish design has to offer, and Avoca for the hand woven blankets and stuff. The Avoca restaurant down in Wicklow is also awesome if you get the chance to go down there. Walk through Stephens Green, and then maybe duck into Stephen's Green shopping centre to check out the design of their building and get a taste of how their mall stores are just as bad as Americas. The ceiling of this building is vaulted and looks really cool though. Walk through Trinity College. Drink in Temple Bar and visit the record stores. Brown Thomas is pricey and has the latest designer gear... I wouldn't look for a deal anywhere in Dublin though.. it's not going to happen. Instead go to their national art gallery. It's free! Irish Film Centre has a great independent film screens too and they often feature Irish films. I also don't like Howth all that much, and it's going to feel like Antarctica this time of year with the way the wind gets out there. Instead, check out Dalkey for a cool village atmosphere and to check out the coast line, since it's just a few stops down on the Dart (dublin's train). Bono and others live there, but whatever... the town itself is really cool. It will also be cold, but I don't think anything would be as bad as Howth. Also, a cool bar that attracts the good looking young crowd is Cafe en Seine on 40 Dawson St Dublin 2. It has a really over the top interior and a lot of lovely ladies at night when it turns from cafe to bar. If the weather cooperates I do suggest taking a hike into the mountains in Wicklow or Dublin, or at the very least hike up to Bray head for a quick 20 minute hike... and then head to "Pizzas and Cream" by Bray's train station for some of the best pizza and ice cream anywhere. Seriously though... Go eat there... it's excellent and not expensive by Dublin standards. The theatre scene is also brilliant. Check to see what's on at the Abbey and the Gate. Both are good venues for live theatre. Bleu Bistro Moderne is recommended for a nice dinner out, and it's right next to the Mansion House (home of the Lord Mayor). I was in Howth back in the summer and it was cold then when I was wearing a jacket. The seafood sucks in Howth too outside of fish, oysters and guinness.
laugh.gif
If you have any specific interests or questions just shoot me a pm. I'm pretty familiar with the city... I have no idea why I just wrote this book... also.. the weather in Dublin right now is absolutely awful. Freezing cold and blustery winds that will burn your face.

Hobbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan

Less shopping = more room in the suitcase for Bushmills Black Bush
smile.gif

Check out the Bull and Castle bar in Christchurch or the Porterhouse Temple Bar for some craft beers e.g. Galway Hooker and O'Hara's stout. Give Guinness a miss.

fox81

Reaction score
i was in dublin a week ago and brown thomas had some things on sale.

for those into shirts, they had charvet, truzzi, brioni and a couple of others on sale at 40% off. as its all in euros, its still not a bargain if youre paying in GBP or AUD (the two currencies native to myself).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics