• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Chic

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I often get a kick out of scoring cheap clothes, say at Old Navy or Target, that are nonetheless a bit stylish. Cheap chic. Favorite latest such acquisitions include some straight fit ON chinos and cords and a sweater. They work great for everyday casual wear. It's true you've got to try on all the ON stuff to make sure the size is right--I found huge discrepancies in my pants size, for instance.

How about you?

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been inside an Old Navy in years but I was just looking at their web site and they are having a huge sale on fall/winter stuff. I just may have to go into one to check it out.

Funny thing is you call it cheap chic, I call it good enough. For me, it is mainly J Crew work wear like chambray and flannel shirts. Hell of course they aren't made like an Engineered Garments or Nom de Guerre shirt but for me it's good enough.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an Old Navy hoody that I wear to class every other day. I have a nice fitting sweater as well but I find it rather long.

I usually stop by ON for basics and it's a great place to pick them up.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Isn't this whole forum about cheap chic?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. What actually constitutes as cheap chic?
Levis?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how bout ultra cheap chic Jet.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I suppose that's better.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Search for 'cheap clothes you love'. I made that thread a couple of months ago and got a lot of responses. It is basically the same thing.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
apcs
levis

tailored jcrew button ups
aa

chucks
allen edmonds

There i saved us a whole page or two of crap. We done here or what?

You forgot all things Target

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about H&M?
frown.gif

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, OP was talking about Old Navy. I doubt APC's and AE's are in the same group as that.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Isn't this whole forum about cheap chic?

Well, it's relative, no? I mean, I find many of the recommendations/preferences in this forum way beyond my means. Desirable though they may be, I can afford them only occasionally, a bit at at time. On the other hand, I could, if I were so inclined, buy my entire wardrobe in multiples at ON easily in one paycheck.

So yeah, I guess in the context of this forum, I'm talking more like ultra cheap chic. On a whim I wondered through Target today--and we don't have a great on in my neck of the woods--but even there I saw a few things that I could see adding to my closet, especially at prices like 19.99.

ON THE OTHER HAND, for a lark, I tried on the pea coat at ON. What a *************. I knew it from the moment I picked it up from the rack, but I thought, you know, weekend slumming kind of garment--man, it looked terrible in the mirror. Say what you will about my Banana Republic selection--I coulda done much worse!

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old Navy is to APC as APC is to Raf Simmons

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads