• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purpose of shirring on shirt sleeves and back?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No nitpicks about pattern matching please! I recall some old posts by Iamatt and Mafoofan on their Anna M shirts and shirring in the sleeve (at the armholes and cuff). What is the purpose of shirring at these two locations and at the yoke at the back. I understand that shirring at the shoulder is done to get a small armhole but a larger sleeve at the biceps, then have the sleeve gather into the cuff. How exactly should this be done, though, and how should one instruct a tailor if one wants this detail (considering not all of us have access to the best in fashion capitals around the world)? I think a tailor may misunderstand and interpret your desire for shirring as a cosmetic preference and miss any functionality or give you an overly blousy shirt. For example, should the armhole be smaller that it would be otherwise? Finally, would a shirt with shirring look strange with a split yoke given that the former is Neapolitan and the latter is very English? Here are Mafoofan's photos of his Anna M shirt, if he doesn't mind:
shirring1.jpg
sleeveplacket1small.jpg
back1small.jpg

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing... do pleats into the cuffs fit just as well?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very conservative viewpoint, but I think it's folly to ask a tailor to do something that he or she wasn't trained to do or is outside of his or her tradition, like imitating regional features in clothing, because they won't execute it as well. But more importantly, unless you're the next Great Fashion Designer who can synthesize great new things from exisiting tradition, the look won't be right too as you will be making a mongrel shirt with a feature from one tradition, and another feature from a different tailoring tradition with no really coherent vision of what you want to end up with.

You can see Oxxford fall into this trap when they tried to update their jacket silhouettes with the Radcliffe --- that jacket looks schizophrenic and discombobulated.

--Andre

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree (although I'm not sure how much variation there is in shirts as opposed to jackets and coats). That's why I'm trying to understand if what Mafoofan and a few others were demonstrating has functional advantages (in terms of fit).

To give you context, a tailor told me he can easily do what's in the photo. I'm wondering if he understands the fit issues or just thinks you one wants a wider sleeve in the armhole to create ruffles.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with Andre. You're asking for trouble.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, collar balls?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
You should go all out with shirred shoulders and yoke, turnback cuffs and mandarin collar. And don't forget the collar balls.
Shoulder balls, heathen.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to admit it but the shirring on the sleeve/back is one of the things i enjoy wearing. Its that subtle little detail, covered at the current moment under my coat....but I know its there.

Regards.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I could swear I remember looking closely at your balls.

Perhaps you were looking at my balls, but I'm talking about my nubs.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

No need to be bashful about your balls. If I had balls like yours, I'd flaunt them proudly. But, to use your terminology, does your collar have nubs? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. Encyclopedia Holliday is on the case.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Would that be between the balls?
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads