• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Fran Tailors

zeero3

Reaction score
I've only been to one tailor in SF/bay area (I'm a noob). I've been to David's at the Flood Building on Market. They weren't very kind to a guy tailoring his first suit. I know there are a bunch of well-dressed guys out here in SF--any tailor suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Come to the SF in SF meetup, part deux and get some recommendations in person.

Shamless plug!
smile.gif

Some of the salespeople from Wilkes Bashford take their clothing to Oxford tailors and rave about it. So I started going there about 2 years ago and have been delighted with the quality and the service. He is upstairs, right across from Neiman Marcus.

The work is far superior to any department store tailoring. Department stores and specialty stores tend to err on the side of too long in the sleeves and legs and leaving the jacket too boxy. With a good tailor you should achieve a better all around fit, but I would encourage you to talk to the tailor about the fit options.

Reaction score
I've had pretty good luck with Cable Car Tailors http://www.yelp.com/biz/cable-car-tailors-san-francisco

While i wouldn't call them master tailors by any stretch, they are reasonably priced, ideally located, and tend to do a good job.

The one thing i've learned is that you really need to be pretty clear in what you want - and stick to your guns as they tend to err towards the conservative in terms of fit.

But I've tried other folks and keep coming back here - especially for simple jobs.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People on this forum seem to like Jon Minor and Andreas Gorges. I think Minor does outside work for Wilkes Bashford.

I have never used any of the above but have used Bob Stankovic in Menlo Park and he's very good but expensive. He also is the outside tailor for Nordstrom and Wilkes Bashford in that area.

zeero3

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. Much appreciative...

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Shamless plug!
smile.gif

Some of the salespeople from Wilkes Bashford take their clothing to Oxford tailors and rave about it. So I started going there about 2 years ago and have been delighted with the quality and the service. He is upstairs, right across from Neiman Marcus.

The work is far superior to any department store tailoring.

+1, Oxford is the best. I have brought dozens of items there over the last eight years and they always do a fantastic job and I don't think there's anything they can't do. I once bought a Borrelli suit from Ian at Shopthefinest.com. The suit was NWT, but had functioning button holes in the sleeves, which were too long. Oxford was able to shorten the sleeves from the shoulder end of the sleeve. I was anxious about this, but they did a fantastic job and maintained the integrity and shape of the shoulder. It was truly amazing and just one indication of the quality of work they do. They've done shirts, pants, suits, outerwear, just about everything for me. And they're exceptionally nice people too.

sf_esq

Reaction score
I haven't been overly impressed with Andreas Gorge. The quality of his work is decent, but he has done a mediocre job on a few of my items recently. Not only that, but Andreas Gorge routinely fails to have items ready by the date promised. I may have to go back to Oxford. They do a consistently good job and always have items completed by the date promised.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
I go to Ricardo's in Sunnyvale. Great guy

what types of alterations have you used him for?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
working button holes for suit jackets and hemming. $15/button hole. If you go to his store, he has old newspaper articles written about him. He used to make mtm. Plus he's a great guy to talk about style.

sarto

Reaction score
any suggestions on some in the south bay? -- like palo alto area?

i saw stankovic mentioned above but im not sure if i want to spend that much.

i have 4 vintage bespoke suits that were made for my dad in brazil -- they're 30 years old and are just a bit tight for me. i took one (a three piece) to Le's Alterations in Mountain View (they got good reviews on yelp) but in case that one doesn't turn out well, i'd like to know where i can take the others to. Le is gonna charge me 75 to alter the three piece one.

i'm also bummed that one of them has some small moth holes near the shoulder -- and it was covered with a large trash bag. ugh. so he said that one wasn't worth fixing -- the patching alone would have run at least like 60 bucks or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads