• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos - a fashion statement?

starcrash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
For those of you with tattoos, do you mind when strangers comment on yours (or ask questions about them), or do you find it annoying? My wife has a couple of simple (but rather prominent) geometric tattoos, and she seems to get tired of people asking "what they mean."
I don't mind when people compliment me on mine, but it's annoying when they ask me to explain them. A lot of people assume that all tattoos have some very cryptic or personal meaning. Personally, I find all that "deep, inner meaning" stuff associated with tattoos to be a bit goofy.

Back to the original topic, like it or not, tattoos do make a statement and they do correlate with fashion and style. I have to take them into consideration when choosing an outfit, whether or not it is an appropriate occasion to leave them visible.

My girl hasn't shitcanned me yet, but faggots do shun me occasionally!

Sigmeow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
For those of you with tattoos, do you mind when strangers comment on yours (or ask questions about them), or do you find it annoying? My wife has a couple of simple (but rather prominent) geometric tattoos, and she seems to get tired of people asking "what they mean."

My girlfriend has a tree of life tattooed on her back

People keep touching it and it's quite upsetting for her.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmeow
My girlfriend has a tree of life tattooed on her back

People keep touching it and it's quite upsetting for her.

I guess people should think of that when they get something that says "Look at me! I need attention!" put on their body.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by starcrash
I don't mind when people compliment me on mine, but it's annoying when they ask me to explain them.

Agreed. Compliments in general make me feel uncomfortable. Plus, it's exposing enough to have a tattoo on your arm. Being asked to explain its personal meaning is a bit too much. I would rather someone just appreciate the artistry.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Agreed. Compliments in general make me feel uncomfortable. Plus, it's exposing enough to have a tattoo on your arm. Being asked to explain its personal meaning is a bit too much. I would rather someone just appreciate the artistry.
What is exposing about having a tattoo on your arm?
eh.gif

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You stick out. I have a half sleeve on my left arm and I occasionally get stared at walking down the street. For the most part it doesn't bother me, but I do feel a bit exposed when people see a part of me that remains hidden at work and other more formal situations. For the most part, it's rather funny. Some people seem intrigued, others repulsed. Those who are offended are the most entertaining.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those who are offended are the most entertaining.
I assume that is why a lot of people get tattoos. So when someone says they hate being asked about them I am a little perplexed.

I mean it is a freakin' tattoo. I could do the same with henna(sp?) or a stamp kit. They are so normal now. Extreme body modification is where it is at for the edgy IMHO.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't get a tattoo to be edgy or offensive. I'm just surprised someone could be so uptight, especially when they are becoming more common.

What would you describe as extreme body modification.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't get a tattoo to be edgy or offensive. I'm just surprised someone could be so uptight, especially when they are becoming more common.
Becoming more common? They ARE common. I miss the 70's when all a tattoo meant was a night out drinking and the rest of your life with Speedy Gonzales.
What would you describe as extreme body modification.
catman.gif

Sigmeow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
I guess people should think of that when they get something that says "Look at me! I need attention!" put on their body.

You only see it if she is wearing something backless, which isn't that often.

What you're thinking of is a tramp stamp. THAT'S a call for attention.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You only see it if she is wearing something backless, which isn't that often.

What you're thinking of is a tramp stamp. THAT'S a call for attention.

Sorry. I was a little rude in my response. I would say that one of the top reasons people get tattoos is for attention and I am shocked to hear about how some people do not like.

After having had drilled into me for the last few years that people get tattoos that mean something to themselves I think it is rude not to ask what it means. Which I guess is the opposite of art where I feel the viewer is meant to take away their own meaning.
eh.gif

Sigmeow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
Sorry. I was a little rude in my response. I would say that one of the top reasons people get tattoos is for attention and I am shocked to hear about how some people do not like.

After having had drilled into me for the last few years that people get tattoos that mean something to themselves I think it is rude not to ask what it means. Which I guess is the opposite of art where I feel the viewer is meant to take away their own meaning.
eh.gif

It's ok.

There are people with awesome tats these days like my girlfriend and my sister in law, but there are some people out there with stuff like tribal that not only looks godawful but is so unoriginal. Those people ruin it for the rest of 'em.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are people with awesome tats these days like my girlfriend and my sister in law, but there are some people out there with stuff like tribal that not only looks godawful but is so unoriginal. Those people ruin it for the rest of 'em.
+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads