• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps. Shame I don't give a damn about current events or watch the News in general.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
It's just people are often times conditioned to think something is "stylish" if it fits certain check boxes. eg. braidkid, who is by definition someone who generically fits into the definition of what most people would call "well dressed." (Not a dig at you, braid, your outfits are fine for the most part, it's just you are the easiest example i could think of)

It just so happens SoCal's pic was not that well taken, and from a digital camera photo posted online it would easily seem to many who have a preconceived notion of what makes up 'style' he was wearing pedestrian clothing like many people slumming it to buy milk would.

The average folk I know probably wouldn't call braid "well dressed"--only the people who know how much he paid for his boots and can appreciate how well his jeans fit (i.e., the people on this forum) would say that. Now, if braid put on some ill-fitting khakis, square-toed shoes, a striped dress-shirt and a tie of any variety--then he might get deemed "well dressed" by the 99% you speak of.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Today I wore an asymmetrical weave Yohji Yamamoto henley, loose cotton Comme des Garcons trousers and Visvim Kiefers - yet to the average passerby it would look like i was wearing a brandless t-shirt purchased at some random bargain bin, trackpants and Chucks.

nearly everything > looking like you're dressed from Walmart but with high street labels attached
dozingoff.gif

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to each their own ... i thought dressing was more about being pleased with yourself above all else. but hey, different strokes for different folks....

EdenResident

Reaction score
Today I wore an asymmetrical weave Yohji Yamamoto henley, loose cotton Comme des Garcons trousers and Visvim Kiefers - yet to the average passerby it would look like i was wearing a brandless t-shirt purchased at some random bargain bin, trackpants and Chucks.

So what makes you different from someone who actually wears a Hanes tee, trackpants and Chucks?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
So what makes you different from someone who actually wears a Hanes tee, trackpants and Chucks?

His huge dick.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm...let's see - maybe i'm not trying to 'differentiate' myself in any way, perhaps i just enjoy the quality of the clothes and want to support designers i'm fond of. Wow that is really hard to fathom...

but yeah...i'm happy with my designer 'walmart' outfit over flannel + tight raw jeans + "proper" looking shoes, thanks.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
getting dressed is, foremost, an aesthetic expression. Any conceptualization that is in tow is secondary. I would even argue that the conceptualized aspect of a garment isnt even important if the aesthetics don't convey it. I know some guys get off on wearing a $500 tshirt that looks like a $5 one, but *to me* that's just taking "The Emperor's New Clothes" mentality to absurd heights.

You can get into the "stealth wealth" (and this pertains to the intended value of garment, not how much you actually paid for it) discussion, but I think a true stealth wealth garment is one that obviously looks "nice" (and potentially expensive) but is even more $$$ than a layman would ever guess, rather than something that looks nondescript and "cheap" but happens to cost $$$

Reminds me of the art discussions we always had in art school, about minimalist paintings. At the end of the day, what you see is what you get. You have a painting of a blue circle on a solid red background and the artist might have all these ideas and concepts that evolved his work to this final product, but in the end, it's still a blue circle on a red background. Too much mental masturbation turns one blind.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is no mental masturbation. that analysis and scrutiny of outfit has come from the end of everyone else's, not mine. never claimed to be on some extra terrestrial plane in terms of my style, i wear what i'm comfortable with, and more importantly, i'm happy with it and *I* think it looks good.

but after a certain point what's the use in arguing...there's a thousand you's, and only one of me.

Deluks917

Reaction score
there is no mental masturbation. that analysis and scrutiny of outfit has come from the end of everyone else's, not mine. never claimed to be on some extra terrestrial plane in terms of my style, i wear what i'm comfortable with, and more importantly, i'm happy with it and *I* think it looks good.

but after a certain point what's the use in arguing...there's a thousand you's, and only one of me.

I could never understand you Fade, sometimes you make alot of sense and your outfits are incredible and other times you post in baggy sweatpants.

Also i agree with get-smarts take on stealth wealth, your best fits all look "nice" to any observer but often have an affect to them that most people might miss, sometimes however either I miss the point or your aestethic fails.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
never claimed to be on some extra terrestrial plane in terms of my style

no not directly, but you sure as hell do indirectly. There are countless times where you do the indirect pat your own back that allude to this. If you don't think you do, then it's a good thing there's only "one of you"

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nah it's not indirect...i'm very much aware of doing precisely what you mentioned. And I do it because, I'm comfortable and proud of my style identity. The more backlash I get, the more I intensify this 'indirect' arrogance of mine, a sign of protest if you will. All too often I see people fall victim to criticism and then begin to doubt themselves. If you can't even be sure of the clothes on your back, something inanimate and objectively of such little genuine value, however ridiculous or pedestrian, how can you believe in yourself as a person?

But it's all just to kill time anyway...what is the use of arguing with someone I don't know. Understandably, my pride leads me to see my point of view as superior. Others can't/don't/won't accept it, what can I do?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also....most criticism directly aimed at my sartorial choices I do not even directly address towards the specific details...why? There is no need. What is there to ultimately "get?" If anything it's the general closed-mindedness/herdlike mentality that I have often addressed, perhaps through indirect self praise, parody, what have you...

I hoped I could serve as an example for some people out there that if everyone thinks you look like a clown, but you like it, then *******, just do you. Even some of you out there who give off the appearance of being assured crack at any slight criticism, and I don't need to mention specifics but it happens. I might have been contradictory, opaque, whatever...but I was never for a minute defensive or uncertain. Eh...what needs to be said has been said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads