• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew range

matsusgarden

Reaction score
I've been building a wardrobe recently, still pretty new to this stuff, so thanks to the people who helped me in my first thread.

But I was wondering if J. Crew is worth purchasing? I looked around their site and was interested in a few things, but when I looked them up I found complaints on the quality. Can I get some validation please?

If the quality is poor (I'm somewhat more interested in the fit if it is passable, by the way) does anyone know what better brands can be had for similar price? I can't go much beyond the range of their items comfortably, to be honest.

JO3B

Reaction score
its great, just buy it at discounted price please. also, if you're a student, use their student discount.

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
i buy their stuff on sale all the time. i like to buy their secret wash shirts at deep discounts.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have several J.Crew OCBD shirts, khaki pants, and cords. Although the quality is not that great, it's good enough, especially since they fit me well. I wouldn't buy a suit from J.Crew, but the casual wear is fine, and it has held up well for me.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been buying way too much JCrew stuff lately. Their chinos are my favorite. The quality of their sweaters are up for debate (there have been negative posts about their cotton/cashmere), but I like the lambswool sweatervest I bought recently. Their casual shirts, the cotton wash button downs, are great. And the tailored dress shirt I bought recently fits perfect.

The other posts are right, though. Definitely wait until their stuff goes on sale or go to an outlet, and definitely make sure to use your 15% student discount.

matsusgarden

Reaction score
Awesome advice, guys, thanks. So, do I need to go to their store to get this discount? I was looking online and didn't see that. If so, that's no problem, I'm probably overdue for a trip to the mall.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
I've had alot of luck with their ties. They remind me of Band of Outsiders that I can afford, great on sale.

But yeah, obscenely good sales, well fitted button downs. Actually I love their polos. They're affordable, well fitted and have no logo.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell
Actually I love their polos. They're affordable, well fitted and have no logo.

Yes, very nice polos, and often on deep discount.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The five-pocket cords are a fall staple for me. Nicely slim. But fits vary widely among their khakis and trou. Some are enormous. Shirts traditionally have been cut too short for me, and as such felt a little skimpy. Lately this seems to be improving.

Nearly everything I buy at J. Crew comes from the sale rack for less than $25, even when it was $75-$100 originally.

Reaction score
If you do order online, there is a free shipping coupon code good for today: PUMPKINS
I like their shirts, fingerless gloves, and their chinos are kinda ok if they fit you.
I am eyeing their wool officer pants, thinking about making a trip there today.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matsusgarden
I've been building a wardrobe recently, still pretty new to this stuff, so thanks to the people who helped me in my first thread.

But I was wondering if J. Crew is worth purchasing? I looked around their site and was interested in a few things, but when I looked them up I found complaints on the quality. Can I get some validation please?

If the quality is poor (I'm somewhat more interested in the fit if it is passable, by the way) does anyone know what better brands can be had for similar price? I can't go much beyond the range of their items comfortably, to be honest.

Jcrew is pretty good. Pick up their items on markdown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads